Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2014 4:49:12 PM EDT
Based on your own experience and opinions, what brands of ball ammunition for target/range use would you stay away from and not recommend?  Which brands of ball ammo for target/range use have you had good luck with and would recommend?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
WWB is my go-to range ammo because it is available and reasonable priced. Federal Champion is weakly loaded and wasn't very accurate for me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever I can find at a price I'm comfortable with.  I can't say I've noticed any dramatic difference in brands and I've shot most of them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Based on your own experience and opinions, what brands of ball ammunition for target/range use would you stay away from and not recommend?  Which brands of ball ammo for target/range use have you had good luck with and would recommend?

Thanks!
View Quote

As far as 9mm brass case stuff available at Wal-Mart, in the following order:

1. WWB
2. CCI Blazer Brass
3. Federal Champion (close to the CCI, but the edge to CCI)
4. UMC (this one is a very distant fourth, very underpowered.  The first three are all pretty close)
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never had any problem with anything I ever bought.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had great experiences with the Freedom Munitions I've been ordering in 9mm (new and reman).  My 40 loves the American Eagle 180gr.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

In my pistols Sig/HK I like using  the top  names in the biz . If there is a Kaboom I know they will take care of it If its there fault.

Black Hills
Winchester
ATK = Federal and Speer

Some of my best groups were shot using LEAD BULLETS in 38spl, 357magnum , 9mm , 45ACP.

I think the 148gr HBWC is the most accurate bullet I ever shot to date. Been shooting since the 70`s
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Federal, Seller&Belliot, Winchester, Fiocchi, Remington and there probably are a few others.  I personally don't shoot any steel or aluminum case ammo in any of my firearms, I am straight brass.  I also have had some less than desirable outcomes shooting UMC, it seems to be a bit underpowered to me so I don't use it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Freedom munitions new, re- manned , and blaster

American Eagle red box

Federal champion
Privi
Fiocchi
Aguila

FNX and Glocks 9 and 45

No problems
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never shot steel cased ammo through any of my rifles or guns. No reloads either, your taking a chance unless you know the person, personally.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never had any problem with anything I ever bought.
View Quote

This, but I only buy brass cased stuff.  I've seen too many unhappy people with interesting problems at the range.  The one thing in common was they were using non-brass...  :-)
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
.40sw I like

Wwb

Federal

Umc

And I stay away from Tula brass maxx
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I like PRVI (PPU) for bulk purchases.  Very clean, accurate enough, and on the cheap side.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!  This is good info.

For a long time it really didn't matter what ammo I used as my skills were the limiting factor, not the ammo.  I've only just recently been getting to the point where my skills have improved to the point, and are consistent enough, that I can start to see the differences between ammunition.

Its really helpful to know brands that folks have had reliability issues with, brands that didn't run well in certain guns, brands that are underpowered, brands that people have good luck with and swear by.  Good stuff.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Tula and Wolf are the most problematic. I have seen good and bad batches but their consistency and materials are the poorest I have seen, especially in 45acp.

Best 9mm has been 147gr and 124gr CCI Lawman, Remington green and white box and Fiocchi.
Best 40SW is the Remington green and white box 180gr FMJ
45acp is the Federal White box 230gr FMJ

This ammo I have had 0 malfunctions or issues with.

The generic Federal AE and Winchester white box ammo I have seen spotty quality control issues, upside down primers, bullets smashed into the case, etc though 99 percent of it has been ok.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#15]
WWB and UMC due to availability.  Avoid MagTech, very dirty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top