Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2017 11:31:44 AM EDT
Guys i got a can for my G19 and needed a threaded barrel. Local shop had Storm Lake threaded match barrel.

dropped it in, put the can on and the pistol short strokes. CAlled Gem-tech and asked what the issue was, they told me to call the barrel manufacturer

When speaking to Stork Lake, and it turns out that it is a match grade barrel, and is has a very tight fit to the slide. Tech informed me that each barrel must be hand-fitted to the slide by a gunsmith.

no one in the local area does this.

i was wondering if i could do it myslef with some help you guys here. I have a set of jeweler files, and have been stamping AKs for years.

thanks in advance

edit: the pistol cycles fine without the can with the Storm Lake barrel
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a gunsmith by any means but for fitting the slide to a 1911 frame lapping compound is used and its produces very tight tolerances.  It might work but so would a dremel.  YMMV.  I'm sure some with more experience can   offer better guidance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like an ammo issue with the can attached. If the barrel runs without the can, you may have to experiment with various power levels and bullet weights of ammo to find the sweet spot. Hanging a long chunk of metal off the muzzle changes a lot of the dynamics and timing of locking and cycling. It would be highly uunrealistic to expect function with for example weak cheap blaster grade 115 grain ammo
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks Captain. i thought of that, and tried various loads. Started with cheapo Am Eagle 115 grainers FMJ, 147 grain fmj. no dice. Switched to Rem JHP same thing.

last thing i tried was Hornady 124 grain self-defense loads that were definitely hotter, but still no cigar.

after comparing the 2 barrels using calipers, i did find some slight differences in certain dimensions. None were over 0.003. Another thing if found that the Glock 19 factory has been beveled just about all around. that includes the cam and the hood. also, the top part that locks into the slide (i think that part is what determines head space) is where i see the shiny marks.

man.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you using a Nielsen device (booster) on the suppressor?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top