Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2016 2:37:29 PM EDT
I've got an HK 45c with 700 rounds fired of mostly Winchester white box along with 100 Federal HST.  I clean the pistol thoroughly after each range trip.   After the last trip, I noticed some fouling in the barrel.  I ran a patch soaked in Hoppes #9 then a bore snake, followed by clean patches.  After about 15 passes with a fresh patch, some of the fouling was still visible.   Ran another hoppes soaked patch then another 10 clean patches the fouling was still there.  Any suggestions?  Maybe just LOTS more passes with clean patches?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
bore snake
View Quote

Expedient cleaning.

Get a bore brush.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Perfectly spotless is great during boot camp drill inspections. Otherwise a little dirty doesn't mean squat. Spotless does not gain anything over clean enough for function.just ignore it as long as the gun is performing
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If you really want it fully clean, just buy a jar of Slip carbon cutter that is larger than the barrel.

Soak it for 2 days.  Crap will run out the barrel...swab with patch.

I have taken pistol barrels that were fully cleaned with solvent, brushes, patches...soaked them, and got a river of black gunk to run out.

If that isn't your style, soak with Hoppes # 9 for 2-3 days, keep wet.  Same end result.

Or...if you want it fast, get some JB and a bore mop (undersize).  Wrap a patch, apply JB, swab.  Keep in mind...jb is a mild abrasive.  It is great but too much is too much.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a good bore brush. Let it soak for about 30 min. Barrels don't have to be spotless to shoot well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The right caliber bore brush (though I have used a .40 S&W brush in a 9MM), powder solvent (I mostly use Hoppes #9) and patches.

I first run a dry brush through it a few times followed by a patch and then examine it.  Not bright and shiny with no areas of dullness/stuff that shouldn't be there?  Follow with the next steps.

I put some Hoppes #9 on a bore brush and make a few passes and then let the barrel sit while I work in the rest of the pistol.  After a few minutes I run some patches through it and then examine the barrel again.  Still not up to par?  I repeat the brush/solvent scrubbing and patching till I'm happy with it's condition.

I don't like to leave stuff in the barrel that shouldn't be there.  Sometimes there will be more there after the next range session (it seems to grow sometimes, like the stuff is catching extra crud from the fired rounds/bullets.

Cleaning guns is a "funny thing".  Some people swear cleaning between matches/range sessions isn't necessary and yet others will swear that if you don't clean every so many rounds you will see accuracy deteriorate.

I was raised to clean it if you shoot it.  Clean it if you carry it in adverse conditions.  Wipe it off with an oily rag if you handle it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
... others will swear that if you don't clean every so many rounds you will see accuracy deteriorate.
View Quote

At least part of this depends on what level of accuracy you have or want.

BR guns are more 'sensitive' than a lever action is.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
At work one of the other firearms instructors ran 5,000 rounds through his P229 (357sig) over the course of two weeks on the range without cleaning it. At the end of every day he ook off the slide and did a quick wipe down with a rag, and put it back together with a couple drops of oil. The gun never missed a beat. At the begining and the end of the two weeks we fired a 10 shot, benchrested slow fire group at 10 yards. They looked the same, both were well under 2".

Unless you are shooting bullseye type competition with a .22 precision pistol, the amount of "accuracy degredation" you will see will not be noticed by most shooters. If you are shooting lead cast bullets, you will need to be aware of build up and deal with it as needed, but normal jacketed bullets and the trace amounts of copper left in the bore will not affect your groups.

Clean it, but dont be neurotic about it. In regards to 99.9% of pistols, "good enough" will work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Expedient cleaning.

Get a bore brush.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
bore snake

Expedient cleaning.

Get a bore brush.

Would you wipe your ass with used toilet paper?

Same reason not to use a bore snake . Don't drag the same old shit back through your barrel.  

If you want compact convenience get a otis cable .
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If its a handgun barrel, bore snake it, then drop it in a jar of Carbon Cutter or the brownells version of it.

Come back 48 hours later, swab it out, add rust prevent/CLP to finish and it is as clean as a pistol barrel can get.  

You will never get it as clean with brush/solvent as soaking in carbon cutter.  Copper doesn't matter in pistols.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top