Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 1:10:22 PM EDT
It looks like the round is jumping free of the feed lips before it's picked up by the extractor. The round then gets pushed to the left side and binds things up.

Both of my factory Colt mags do this. Neither on of my Wilson 47D's or any of my cheap USGI surplus mags have.

The writing you may spot on the case is "6.0". I was testing some loads this morning and that's 6.0 hrs of Unique under a 200 gr LSWC. But the mags will do this with WW 230 gr ball as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it happen with all mags, some, or one?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Both of my factory Colt mags do this. Neither one of my Wilson 47D's or any of my cheap USGI surplus mags have.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#3]
CHECK EXTRACTOR TENSION AND FEED LIP WIDTH.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Greg.

I was wondering if extractor tension wasn't involved. Or if the nose needed a touch of polish or something. It's never been right since new. The first time I stripped the slide the extractor fell out under it's own weight. I've tried to adjust it and thought I had it this last time. I already have a new Wilson Bullet proof extractor in the parts box.

How does one check the feed lip width?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Magazine springs also.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magazine springs also.
View Quote

This.  If the bullet is jumping forward from recoil as it's pushed up by the mag spring (indicating a weak mag spring) then it could get missed by the extractor.

First place I'd start is swap a spring from one of the good Wilson mags to the Colt mag and see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks Greg.

The first time I stripped the slide the extractor fell out under it's own weight.
How does one check the feed lip width?
View Quote

I'd say your extractor has no adjustment.

I've used cailpers to measure width, but my money is on your extractor. Colt or original USGI spring steel types are the best for extractors. Lots of places on the web to find out how to tune and adjust the extractor. I'd order a oversize firing pin stop and fit it to the slide while your at it. Keeps the extractor from clocking (keeps your brass in a nice pile).
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.  If the bullet is jumping forward from recoil as it's pushed up by the mag spring (indicating a weak mag spring) then it could get missed by the extractor.

First place I'd start is swap a spring from one of the good Wilson mags to the Colt mag and see what happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magazine springs also.

Wilson and colt use 2 different types of magazine springs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top