Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2016 6:29:59 PM EDT
I shot my Uberti 1873 with Cody-Matic action job today and got several failures to fire. The ammo is Federal American Eagle 357 Magnum 158 gr JSP. I've fired about 300 rounds of Winchester Cowboy 38 Special without any problems up until this point.

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Look like light hits to me- a regular single action usually craters primers pretty deep. The action job went too far!
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are really light primer hits
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally 357 loads will have magnum primers that have a harder cup (the part that dents) .

If a hammer spring or something else was causing marginally light hits with the harder magnum primers it might work just fine with 38 special ammo that has standard pistol primers .

If the gun is only used for cowboy matches with 38sp loads and never used for hunting or home protection you might choose to live with it and try other brands of ammo . Different brands with different primers might solve or lesson the problem .

Is this action job something you did or did you pay someone to do it? At any rate it sounds like something closer to the factory spring needs to go back into it .

I would not be too harsh on any smith that did the work , he could have trimmed the spring and test fired with a different ammo and got 100% results . Only thing that counts is how he handles the fix
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Generally 357 loads will have magnum primers that have a harder cup (the part that dents) .

If a hammer spring or something else was causing marginally light hits with the harder magnum primers it might work just fine with 38 special ammo that has standard pistol primers .

If the gun is only used for cowboy matches with 38sp loads and never used for hunting or home protection you might choose to live with it and try other brands of ammo . Different brands with different primers might solve or lesson the problem .

Is this action job something you did or did you pay someone to do it? At any rate it sounds like something closer to the factory spring needs to go back into it .

I would not be too harsh on any smith that did the work , he could have trimmed the spring and test fired with a different ammo and got 100% results . Only thing that counts is how he handles the fix
View Quote

The action job was done by a very reputable smith in the cowboy action arena. His work is geared toward that, though, so issues may arise outside of that world. The rifle has fired 38 Special ammo fine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
You only need a magnum primer with harder to ignite powders or a LOT of powder in the case.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You might try a heavier hammer spring. Looks like light strikes to me. Lightening the trigger pull will sometimes result in this problem when using ammo with harder primers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely need a stronger hammer spring.  Those are Federals and Federal generally has the softest primers around.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent the rifle back to the smith that did the action job and he fixed the issue, although he never told me what it was. 

I sold the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Never mind.  I guess you no long have the '73.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top