Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2016 1:42:02 PM EDT
First match of the year yesterday, and my MKII failed to cycle consistently.

Tried multiple mags and randomly it would fail to load/feed because the bolt creased the center of the top/next round in the mag.

I know this is a simple cause and fix, but what do you suggest?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Clean and lube your pistol.  And chamber. And magazines.
2) polish your feed ramp
3) Use good quality ammo that will cycle the bolt (CCI Mini Mags work well)

Start there
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one MkII that had been dissembled so many times (barrel off the frame) it was no longer tight. Not mine [working gunsmith w' FFL]
The barrel had a tiny amount of rotational play and the hammer dragged on the bolt slot after a few shots.

Back to Ruger for that fix.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your extractor, mine broke once and did the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried spraying everything liberally with Breakfree lube. I used to lube the loaded mags and hose the inside of the gun with it.  Really helped with reliability
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger Mk series .22's are very reliable as a rule. I have done minor work to them like polishing the sear and feed ramp. I've has problems getting one to stay locked open after the last shot, I shortened the bolt lock spring a little and it works fine now.

Some .22's (any brand) can be ammo peculiar. Having a definite preference or dislike for certain brands. If a good cleaning doesn't work try some other ammo. Virtually all Ruger .22 pistols will work fine with hi velocity .22 ammo. Sometimes I have problems with low velocity target ammo that is only traveling around 1050 to 1080 fps.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine doesn't like being dirty. When its starts acting funny, I need to strip it down, pull the grips, pull the bolt and hose evrything out with cleaner.

Keep it clean and use full power ammo. Mine hates anything but the strongest ammo. When it gets dirty and the bolt slows down or if I use underpowered loads, I get the same dents in the round on the top of the mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top