Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2016 2:23:09 AM EDT
I was shooting my Davis P380 today, believe it or not it is pretty accurate. I've probably only got 300 rounds tops through it, owned it like 20 years, probably shot it about every 5 years.
Anyways for some reason I looked at it after the second mag today and suddenly noticed this crack. It has a pressed in barrel (like a makarov), the crack is in the frame above the barrels chamber, not in the chamber.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No that crack came from some stress problem, its only going to get worse not better.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably caused from when the barrel was threaded to the frame and got worse over time. I don't know if Davis is still in busness.
You owe it to yourself to set up to a better quaility gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
no way would i continue to shoot that
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Great gun for the next gun buy back.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, those barrels were press fit Into the frame then the extractor groove was
then machined...

Yeah, it will only get worse over time and will eventually become unsafe to fire
even though the .380 ACP is a relatively "low pressure" round.

AFAIK, Davis Industries is out business and has been for years...
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC, those barrels were press fit Into the frame then the extractor groove was
then machined...

Yeah, it will only get worse over time and will eventually become unsafe to fire
even though the .380 ACP is a relatively "low pressure" round.

AFAIK, Davis Industries is out business and has been for years...
View Quote

Still 21,500 PSI
http://handloads.com/misc/saami.htm

Do you feel lucky?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer your question OP. No it doesn't look safe to shoot. I'd set it aside with a tag on the trigger guard stating in big letters NOT SAFE TO FIRE.  Seriously that's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To answer your question OP. No it doesn't look safe to shoot. I'd set it aside with a tag on the trigger guard stating in big letters NOT SAFE TO FIRE.  Seriously that's what I'd do.
View Quote

And remove the firing pin.

No way I'd shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
You may be able to weld it shut and grind the excess flashing off. There are so many quality .380's on the market nowadays you may just want to buy another.  

This isn't a job for an amateur welder/gunsmith. You'll have to find someone who specializes in repairs and restorations.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Throw down gun!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You may be able to weld it shut and grind the excess flashing off. There are so many quality .380's on the market nowadays you may just want to buy another.  

This isn't a job for an amateur welder/gunsmith. You'll have to find someone who specializes in repairs and restorations.
View Quote

No way.  Welding will embrittle the metal in the heat-affected zone.  Save that gun for a gun buyback or get a new barrel and move on.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Delete dup.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the frame on a Davis even steel? I thought many of their pistols were 'Zamak' (SP?) or zinc alloy? If that's the case, it can't be welded by any normal process.

And I agree with the above; 'something' cracked that, and if it's gotten worse 'something' is going to eventually finish the job. I wouldn't want to be holding onto it when that happened.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Throw down gun!
View Quote

This, or sell it to a pawn shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top