Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 9:44:58 AM EDT
Can a aluminum frame be repaired?
The frame on a sig 228 has a small chunk missing at the mag button.  The mag button looks like it would not stay in.  It now is in a left handed mag button configurations.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=525689488
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If I was a betting man I'd say Sig has already told the owner of that pistol to pound sand.  Your only really viable option is to see if Sig will replace the frame.  Otherwise you CAN repair that frame but it will be very expensive.  I'm a gunsmith and I'd start my quote at $400.00.  So you'd be into that pistol way too much.  I would pass on that one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
copy that
thank you sir
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You need a very good MIG/TIG welder to fill in the defect.
You then machine in back to flush and bore the hole again.

PITA to do 'one' off' on someone else's gun but not especially difficult.

Getting an exact reading on what type of aluminum is often the tough part.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
How old is it? SIG may cover it under warranty as it's most probably a factory defect, not something that's the result of wear and tear.

I doubt that many firearms break in that area unless dropped.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old is it? SIG may cover it under warranty as it's most probably a factory defect, not something that's the result of wear and tear.

I doubt that many firearms break in that area unless dropped.
View Quote

Actually this is not a factory defect and Sig will not fix it as a warranty item.  If I recall seeing the pics when this thread started last year (which are no longer up on gunbroker), someone very likely attempted to swap the mag release incorrectly and then tried forcing it out under pressure to "fix" their screw up, hence breaking off a portion of the frame in the process.  

There have been a ton of threads on various gun owner websites from folks who assembled a mag catch incorrectly and posted about it BEFORE trying to pound it out...and a few who tried to pound it out with shall we say disastrous results (i.e. broke a chunk off their frame.).

I think one guy sent it back to Sig (with the mag release incorrectly installed, but not a chunk broken out of the frame) and they fixed it for $199.  Another person on the sig owners website showed how you can fix the screw up yourself using a set of feeler gauges.

Unfortunately I don't believe Sig (unlike Glock) will sell you a replacement frame, so if you go the home gunsmithing route and fail in the process, you're out of luck....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the problems with aluminum frames is that the manufacturers each seem to have their own specific alloy for the metal.

It makes it a PITA to figure out what to use for rode and fill material.

You can be off a little but not a lot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the problems with aluminum frames is that the manufacturers each seem to have their own specific alloy for the metal.

It makes it a PITA to figure out what to use for rode and fill material.

You can be off a little but not a lot.
View Quote
Most aluminum frames these days are 7075 T6.  There are very few companies that deviate from what is basically the best aluminum alloy for firearms applications.  But there are a couple out there who do something different.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top