Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2015 5:31:35 PM EDT
About 2 years ago my grand father died and he left me a couple boxes of things. He was really into building and refurbishing old guns in his retirement.
I just moved and re found one of the boxes, and in it was this rough pistol frame.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how massive of a task it would be to build the pistol since it is just a frame.

My guess is it would be a big one.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Your link goes to the Cabela web site.

Post a good photo of the frame you have and any identifying information as to make and model.

If it's a 1911 type frame it should be possible to rebuild it, although the cost might be too high, depending on the condition and who made it.

If it's a foreign made pistol, the cost of rebuild parts would almost certainly be much higher then a complete gun could be bought.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Some off market frames could be more problems than it's worth.  It's a learning opportunity though.  If it's a 1911, you might want to take a NRA summer 1911 building class.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a search on Gunbroker for whatever the frame is to.   There are a few Police Dept that destroy the frame of guns confiscated and sell off all the other parts in a "kit".
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's a good quality frame, then it could be a fun project.  

My recommendation would be to build a very simple GI spec 1911 using "drop in" parts only.  Now even "drop in" parts will need some fitting, but if you keep things cheap and "drop in" then you'll find yourself with a working gun in a short time.  What's more, you will have learned a little of the basics and then you can start upgrading the parts one by one to higher quality gunsmith fit one piece at a time.  But to just start with a box of gunsmith parts having never built a 1911 before is a VERY rough way to go about a build and you'll likely become extremely frustrated and take to drinking a high volume of cheap booze in no time.  

So start off with an inexpensive "Parts Kit".  The parts are typically made by John Masen company.  The parts are cheap investment cast parts, but that's not to say they won't work or hold up well; they will.  Find an inexpensive slide and barrel and go from there.  I really recommend going with the cheap stuff first (and again, it's not as if you're going to end up with a bad gun, it will be fine) so you can learn and learn on the cheap.  Better to trash a 19.00 safety than a 75.00 one while learning; get my drift?  

Sarco sells parts kits and they're a really good place to start.  If you have problems finding all that you need, send me a PM and I can put you in touch with a friend who sells parts kits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top