Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 1:54:06 PM EDT
Would any one know of the Dewey nylon rod would work in the 9mm 1911 by Springfield Ok? Wanting a nylon rod instead of there brass one. Just my peference that I have.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Would any one know of the Dewey nylon rod would work in the 9mm 1911 by Springfield Ok? Wanting a nylon rod instead of there brass one. Just my peference that I have.
View Quote

Dewey rods are nylon coated.
The softness of the coating produces its own set of problems.

In a short barrel it is not as likely to bow enough to rub anyway but in a rifle barrel the coating can carry grit if not wiped off adequately.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
This is counterintuitive, but a polished one piece stainless steel cleaning rod is actually the best for firearms.

Virtually all higher end shooters these days use either polished one piece stainless or carbon fiber rods.

The problem with the coated rods is that they tend to shave on any sharp edge and soon the bare metal is exposed.  Like brass and aluminum rods, they also can get grit embed in the surface and scratch a bore.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is counterintuitive, but a polished one piece stainless steel cleaning rod is actually the best for firearms.

Virtually all higher end shooters these days use either polished one piece stainless or carbon fiber rods.

The problem with the coated rods is that they tend to shave on any sharp edge and soon the bare metal is exposed.  Like brass and aluminum rods, they also can get grit embed in the surface and scratch a bore.
View Quote

Right up till it bows and peens on the rifling.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Which is why a smart move is to PULL the rod through the bore.
As example, when I clean my Colt M4 I put a chamber guide in the receiver, put the rod down the bore and out the muzzle, screw on the brush or a Parker Hale type jag and patch and pull it back and out of the chamber.

Pulling the rod eliminates any chance of any damage.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Which is why a smart move is to PULL the rod through the bore.
As example, when I clean my Colt M4 I put a chamber guide in the receiver, put the rod down the bore and out the muzzle, screw on the brush or a Parker Hale type jag and patch and pull it back and out of the chamber.

Pulling the rod eliminates any chance of any damage.
View Quote

Of course that bare steel end is not going to actually touch the bore either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]
https://deweyrods.com/product/22-caliber-nylon-coated-rod-6-inches-female-threaded
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you can bow a pistol length rod into the bore your doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would depend on how large the rod is and how tight the device on the tip (like a patch on a jag) is.

While more of an issue for a rifle barrel I have seen some painfully thin pistol rods.
All in the name of 'lower price.'
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Use bore guides.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]
for a pistol rod?  skip the nylon coated.  I only say that because they do get damaged or worn over time.  A brass rod in a.45 caliber or 9mm bore?  You are throwing the proverbial hot dog down the hallway.  Don't over think it.  

In the long run the metal rod w/o the nylon will last longer.  

BTW I love Dewey rods.  I have about 5 rifle length Dewey Rods, A pistol rod and an M16 chamber cleaning kit rod.  I have some damage on one or two of my .22 cal rods from the ejectors on CZ .22's, they will scrape the nylon on the rod.  I will eventually move to the polished stainless rods.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top