Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2015 1:15:49 AM EDT
Pistol is an M1991A1 with a slightly modded 1911A1 hammer for a smoother trigger squeeze.

I've fired about 3,000 rounds without issue since putting that hammer in. I give it a good cleaning every 300 rounds or so, but the most recent one was a couple weeks ago. After assembling, I function checked it and discovered this malfunction. I field stripped it, looked for any missing or misaligned parts, put it back together, and the safety and hammer still drop.

Do I just need to swap back to the stock hammer, or is something else going on?

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Pistol is an M1991A1 with a slightly modded 1911A1 hammer for a smoother trigger squeeze.

I've fired about 3,000 rounds without issue since putting that hammer in. I give it a good cleaning every 300 rounds or so, but the most recent one was a couple weeks ago. After assembling, I function checked it and discovered this malfunction. I field stripped it, looked for any missing or misaligned parts, put it back together, and the safety and hammer still drop.

Do I just need to swap back to the stock hammer, or is something else going on?
View Quote
Okay first lets go over how everything works:

1. You have the manual thumb safety in the up position?

2. You are pressing against the beaver tail or grip safety when this happens?

3. No trigger press, but you pull hammer back and it will fall and release the safety?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you answered your own question in the first sentence !

What does a slightly modified hammer for a smoother trigger  mean ?  99% of the time this is means someone screwed up the job..

Obvious... Swap out the Hammer and see if the problem remains.

We're other parts.... Smoothed out ? The sear may now be bad as well.

Edit: 3K rounds... A marginal Trigger job ? Maybe..Possible that who ever did the job did an ok job but did not get it just right and you had excessive wear caused by the mating surfaces not lining up as perfectly as they should and you now have wear (rolled edges) in several places.
When it goes full auto..you will know !

Edit 2: hammer pin ? Does it have lots of wear or grooved ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Modified "Series 70" hammer in a series 80 gun?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I would think your thumb safety is worn out, but I don't know how it would wear out A propperly fitted safety fits firmly against the sear when engaged. The engagement surface would have to be shaped wrong, like a ramp so that when the sear pushes against it it moves to the off position. Also is the detent spring still good and firm?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Okay first lets go over how everything works:  

1. You have the manual thumb safety in the up position? Yes.

2. You are pressing against the beaver tail or grip safety when this happens? Yes.

3. No trigger press, but you pull hammer back and it will fall and release the safety? No.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think you answered your own question in the first sentence !

What does a slightly modified hammer for a smoother trigger  mean ? IIRC, the sear surface was sharp, but not as deep and resulted in less creep.

Obvious... Swap out the Hammer and see if the problem remains.

We're other parts.... Smoothed out ? The sear may now be bad as well. Other trigger bits are stock.

Edit: 3K rounds... A marginal Trigger job ? Maybe..Possible that who ever did the job did an ok job but did not get it just right and you had excessive wear caused by the mating surfaces not lining up as perfectly as they should and you now have wear (rolled edges) in several places. Quite possible.

When it goes full auto..you will know !

Edit 2: hammer pin ? Does it have lots of wear or grooved ? Don't think so.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Modified "Series 70" hammer in a series 80 gun?
View Quote

The half-cock function is no more, but when I put it in, everything else worked fine.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Personally, I would think your thumb safety is worn out, but I don't know how it would wear out A propperly fitted safety fits firmly against the sear when engaged. The engagement surface would have to be shaped wrong, like a ramp so that when the sear pushes against it it moves to the off position. Also is the detent spring still good and firm?
View Quote

This is what I was thinking.

My trigger finger says the detent takes about 8 lbs to overcome. I consider it a solid, but not difficult click.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Later tonight, I'll take it apart, examine the surfaces, and put the stock hammer back in if something else isn't obviously wrong.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
put it all together as normal minus the grip safety.  then just look inside and see whats happening.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

put it all together as normal minus the grip safety.  then just look inside and see whats happening.
View Quote

I did this.
It seems like the bottom of the trigger sear is allowed to move about 0.030", which is enough to release the hammer and simply smacks the safety out of the way.
I referred to frame one.

The hammer sear is sharp, and the thumb safety has a big shiny spot where the bottom of the trigger sear contacts it. I think that's the culprit.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#12]
It seems like the bottom of the trigger sear is allowed to move about 0.030"
View Quote

Should be zero.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Should be zero.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It seems like the bottom of the trigger sear is allowed to move about 0.030"

Should be zero.

Yip.

I also changed the trigger sear, but forgot.

Bullseye league tonight was cancelled due to weather, otherwise I'd see how much of a difference the stock sears make. I don't feel much of a difference now, but at the time, my confidence needed a little boost - "special tires" so to speak.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Got to shoot tonight. The stock sears took some getting used to.

My 3 previous nights averaged 700/900 points. Tonight I got 670 due to the creep during slowfire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top