Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2015 1:20:31 PM EDT
I have been searching for a good while now for parts for a Smith and Wesson revolver.  I have a 629-3 with a N-Frame that has been sitting in a shed forever.  The frame itself is in perfect condition just the internals have gone bad like the trigger and hammer due to them being coated carbon steel and not stainless steel.  I will post the entire list of parts I need below.  I can't seem to find a good enough site I think to trust on my own for ordering and was wondering if any of you gunsmiths out there know where I can buy all of these together or separately at different sites.  Thanks in advance.

Here is the list, I believe these are the correct names:

Bolt Plunger
Bolt Plunger Spring
Hammer
Main Spring
Bolt
Thumb piece
Thumb piece Nut
Plate Screw, Flat
Plate Screw, Crowned
Rear Sight Assembly
Cylinder Stop Spring
Trigger Assembly
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Smith and send it back to them.  At least some of those parts are going to require fitting.  Not a drop in job.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Numrich Gun Parts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
As above, the smart move is to return it to S&W for new parts plus installation fitting.
Many of the parts listed are NOT "drop in" and require individual fitting.

Possible sources of just the parts are direct from S&W, Brownell's, Jack First Gun Parts, and Gun Parts Corp.

If you send it in to S&W they'll have no-BS factory brand new parts and the trained gunsmiths who know how to fit and adjust the parts the right way.
You'll have the comfort of knowing it was all done correctly.....the factory way, and covered by a warranty.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I find it a bit hard to believe that the frame and all externals are perfectly fine while the internals are ruined.

If there is oil/lube anywhere on a stored revolver, it's internally.

Are you sure the parts are actually ruined or are they just gummed up?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I find it a bit hard to believe that the frame and all externals are perfectly fine while the internals are ruined.

If there is oil/lube anywhere on a stored revolver, it's internally.

Are you sure the parts are actually ruined or are they just gummed up?
View Quote

I bought this revolver from a friend who actually found it in his wife's, dad's shed.  And his wife gave it to him.  The parts that were made of stainless steel held up just fine in the elements here in Florida but the hammer assembly, trigger assembly and a few other parts inside it that were made of just plane carbon steel all corroded away pretty nasty like.  The frame was covered in all sorts of crud when I bought it off of him for 100 bucks.  I just threw the entire thing in degreaser and cleaned and polished the receiver of anything left.  The barrel is clear and clean with great spiraling.  Some simple dings and scratches from abuse but after the cleaning I did, it almost looks pristine condition.  And I expect it to be a pretty good shooter when it's done for a gun I got for 100 bucks.

Also referring to sending it to S&W.  I would expect the price to send it off to be absurd.  Considering that I already emailed Brownells and they told me that many parts are already obsolete.  So I did some more research and found that there are a few people selling stainless steel versions of the trigger and hammer assemblies for the N-Frame.  Supposedly from what I read also you can interchange quite a few different sizes.  Sometimes there is fitment to be done.  But it could also just be a drop in part since it is already an N-Frame type that I bought.  Of course this is all stuff I have read on it from people on the internet. haha
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd call S&W first. Depending on who you talk to, you might get lucky and get a return label sent to you.

Otherwise, check with some of your local FFL's about shipping. Some charge a nominal fee above the USPS charge to ship a handgun which is much less than FedEx or UPS. An FFL is allowed to ship a handgun via 2-day Priority Mail, which you are not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd call S&W first. Depending on who you talk to, you might get lucky and get a return label sent to you.

Otherwise, check with some of your local FFL's about shipping. Some charge a nominal fee above the USPS charge to ship a handgun which is much less than FedEx or UPS. An FFL is allowed to ship a handgun via 2-day Priority Mail, which you are not.
View Quote

Well I emailed S&W asking about this already a few days ago.  And asked since that most items are obsolete (Said by Brownells) that if I could get blue prints and schematics so I could machine them myself to exact tolerances.  Maybe they will add something along those lines in the email.  I am just waiting for their response right now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Post photo's of the old parts,

Chances are they are not as bad as it seem, and just bead blasting, and some re-sear work, and blueing will bring the pistol  parts back to new working condition.
View Quote

Reading your statement and then looking at those parts and then back to the post and back to the parts again makes me laugh so hard right now.  Nothing against what your saying it's just I KNOW it's not that easy lol  unless I want and ugly looking trigger.  Or wouldn't mind cutting off the hammer and welding a new one on or.....I might as well just buy a new one and call it a day.  

That last image is a little blurry but that piece is exposed and only holding on by one side of the hammer assembly.

Also on my screen it says all the pictures are "broken" just right click and hit view image and it worked for me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
most of the  parts look  shown look refurbishable to me.

On the hammer tail, S&W made wide hammer tails for target pistols, and thin tail hammers for service pistols.  So after cleaning, the tail of the hammer can be thinned down a touch to make it into a middle model between a wide and thin hammer.

Really, the parts need to be glass bead blasted to get all the crap off, then you will have a good idea of what is savable or not.
View Quote

Sadly there are enough small areas that you can barely tell on them that have broken away to the point of UN-salvageable.  The very top piece of that trigger has a about 1/3 of the lip broken off. And the hammer piece (whatever that part is called that swings up and down on it) is hanging on by a slight piece of metal.  Yes I could probably try to salvage the hammer itself by grinding it to the small amount left that it has but it really is gone.  And if I ground down the trigger to what I can already tell where the good metal would be would bring new meaning to the phrase "hair trigger"

Now I'll salvage the small parts out of it like the pins and firing pin/hammer nose which I know they don't make any more of those at least.

Also I have been contacting a few different places.  I have been in touch with S&W and this one person on the other end was nice enough to just send me most of the parts I needed free of charge he had sitting around his house.  (Good customer service there)!  Also I am having the whole thing shipped to them for a more thorough cleaning.  As far as rear sight goes I should be able to just buy one from Bowenclassicarms.  They also had great knowledge on there the subject of rear sights and I think I will be buying one of there un-drilled ones for about 130 dollars where I can just machine it down to size with an endmill.  Perk of being a machinist and welder I suppose haha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top