Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2015 1:56:14 AM EDT
this is the gun.

I'm pretty sure the gun is going in the scrap heap anyway (for other reasons not germane to this discussion), but you never know.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it to STI, I'm aware of a similar incident that they fixed at minimal cost.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send it to STI, I'm aware of a similar incident that they fixed at minimal cost.
View Quote

Interesting. I'll propose that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The way I would approach the problem, if I were so inclined, would be to use a Dremel tool cutoff wheel to remove part of the slide lock then tap the pin out.

I'm thinking I might just leave it as is and keep it as a museum piece.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
this is the gun.

I'm pretty sure the gun is going in the scrap heap anyway (for other reasons not germane to this discussion), but you never know.
View Quote

Strictly judging from the pics of the barrel hood and fired case I would lean towards:

High round count with a high pressure round ultimately causing the stress failures combined with what
looks like a Improperly timed/fitted barrel to slide lock-up making the situation worse...notice the off
center primer strike. The 40SW round will run well over 30K PSI even when loaded light.

Just thank your lucky stars the situation was not worse and you did not wind up with steel shrapnel in your
face or those near by...

Everything has physical and mechanical limits, especially firearms, If you have 20K to 40K out of your pistol
I would say it served you well...Your saw has hit a nail...

As for salvaging the gun, yeah It can possibly be done...I would also suggest trying to remove your slide stop
pin and try remove the whole slide assembly as one unit and then dremel/machine material off the top of the
barrel/barrel hood...this assumes that there is no damage to the slide and frame of the pistol.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top