Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2015 12:54:35 AM EDT
I am doing my first ever 1911 build. Based on a 80% lower and a mix of wilson, ed brown, les baer, and swenson parts.

The only issue i have run into so far is the thumb safety not going flush to the frame. Im not sure exactly where it is hitting but it appears to be on the sear.

How should i go about fixing this issue? I'll try to put up some pictures tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If the safety is hitting my the legs of the sear that just means you need to CAREFULLY remove a little more of the safety. Use some marker on the safety and reinstall to see how much to take off ( the sear will remove traces of the marker dye). When you do this dont wiggle the safety around, just press firmly. File off less than you think and refit. Ideally you don't want the sear to move AT ALL when the safety is applied. There are lots of tutorials on exactly how to do this, best if you read those closely. A misfit safety is very bad ju-ju.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the relative cost of the parts, it's also acceptable to remove metal from the sear.  When a sear is $25 and a good ambi safety is over $50, I've cut more off the sear.  If and when the sear needs replacement, you won't need to worry about having yo fit a new safety.  

Of course the sear is harder to work on with a file, due to its shape.  The thumb safety lug is easier to file to fit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top