Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2014 9:23:39 PM EDT
I have 2 barrels (one off a sistema .45 and one off a colt 1908 .380) that need some serious cleaning.
I am thinking of letting them soak submerged in hoppes 9 for a day or 2 then scrubbing.

Will this damage the bluing on the barrels?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Hoppes #9  is not a rust remover.  It's just a solvent.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure it is completely submerged if you try this.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Ballistol - when I strip a gun down for full detail cleaning or work to be done (stoning, polishing, etc..) I soak all my parts over night in Ballistol and it has never damaged the bluing on any gun, or any other parts coating. It really is made for just about anything, also just soaking in 92% alcohol overnight is another way I do it when the parts are not so gunky or need more attention.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure it is completely submerged if you try this.
View Quote

This.

Hoppes 9 is just basic kerosene with some additives.  It is safe for steel but you need to fully submerge the part.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I suggest skipping all of those and going with Break Through Clean, much better for you when your cleaning your gun. Doesn't have known carcinogens and it cleans like nothing I have ever seen before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top