Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 8:11:13 PM EDT
Here's the story, after a shooting session today, I decided for the first time to detail strip my Colt Commander. I bought this gun new in 2007, and it has about 1500 rounds through it. I never gave a series 80 pistol much thought - until I tried to get the firing pin out of the slide - what a pain in the ass! After some trial and error, I got the slide in pieces.

The rest of the gun stripped down fine. Although I am rusty in putting it all back together. I tried to re-assemble the slide, but I could not get the firing pin stop to snap over the rear of the firing pin. After a few choice words and examination of the firing pin, I noticed that the hammer had peened the rear of the firing pin. If you look at my photo you can see it (sorry - this site is not user friendly for uploading photos). I'm wondering if this is common, and any recommendations to what brand of part I should replace it with?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dawson Precision and Brownells has series 80 FP's,

As for the FP you have, you can chuck it up in a drill, and spin file the back of the FP to remove the peening.

As for loading the FP back in to the slide, drop in the FP block spring, the FP block, push the FP block down into the slide, load the FP with it return spring  into the slide channel, then while still holding the FP block down/pushing the FP in with a small pick tool, drop the back retainer in place.
View Quote

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Armory drawing call for hardening with oil quenching and tempering.

Hardness reading on 0.2 diameter should leave 0.01 inch deep mark.

No hardness table, weight, drop height handy.
Hammer routinely mushrooms the head after heavy use.
Chuck it up and use a fine file to remove the mushrooming if it starts to catch on the firing pin stop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top