Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 9:49:38 AM EDT
Going to do Moly Resin on my Thunder 9 slide, as the factory finish was not great and it has a bit of wear from carry. This has otherwise been a great gun and I want to get it back to looking as good as it shoots.

I was figuring I'd have to disassemble it, until I read this on johnnorrellarms.com:

Moly Resin™ may be used for cosmetic refinishing and/or as a protective coating against the elements. When used solely as a cosmetic finish, it is unnecessary to completely disassemble many firearms to refinish. In many instances a large sub-assembly of parts may be coated without disassembly. You may sand blast, preheat, spray, and cured as one large piece since the airbrush will allow you to apply a coating to internal cavities and parts that you find difficult to disassemble. For example: A revolver can be cosmetically refinished without removing the hammer or trigger mechanisms. The hammer can be left in the forward position and sandblasted, then cocked and again sandblasted. The sand can be washed out with water and blown out with air pressure. After preheating, the hammer can be sprayed in the cocked position and then allow to go forward and sprayed in the closed position resulting in all visible parts being coated.
View Quote

Has anyone tried doing Moly Resin without disassembly?  All of the parts that might need to be removed (firing pin, extractor, rear sight, loaded chamber indicator) are black like the slide and cosmetically, there's no reason to remove them.  What I worry about is that the parts will become "painted" in place and not be able to move.  According to Norrell's, that's not an issue.  

I've used Moly Resin before, and it does seem to go on rather thin. Since I primarily want to cover the sides of the slide, I won't be hitting sensitive areas with a heavy coat...just enough to cover it up.

Also, would hitting it with a good coat of acetone and boiling it for a while be good enough surface prep?  That's what I did with the lower I painted, but it was brand new and hadn't been subject to all of the oil and powder residue that the Bersa has.

What should I think about this?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
YES!!! I DID IT!!!

I FINALLY STUMPED ARFCOM!!!

SOMEBODY WRITE DOWN THE DATE!!!

Problem is, I still don't know whether or not to disassemble my slide or not...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want to bake it?   That's the only thing I'd be worried about... internal plastic parts or whatever that may not like being baked.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top