Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2014 10:58:14 PM EDT
So, I want to get a good punch set and hammer (brass/nylon) to remove my S&W Shield sights.

It seems like the proper punches for sight removal have a flat edge for the sight base. I'm just looking for feedback from people who have bought sets and had both good and bad experiences.

There are so many out there and I have no idea which would be the best. I'm not afraid to spend money on quality products.

Appreciate any insight you all have.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
For a hammer I would only buy a Shooboy.  They are fantastic, I own 2.  Google Shooboy and you will find it.  

Also good info here. http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/89783-wow-nice-review-shooboy-hammers-professional-gunsmith.html
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
A quick Google search seems to indicate that the shooboy hammer is available NOWHERE for purchase.

It does look very nice, though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Any hammer that will drive nails is NOT suitable for driving hardened punches.

A ball peen hammer is made without a hardened face and is suitable for driving hardened punches.

If a file does not easily cut the face (a smooth file flat on the center of the face will not remove enough to hurt anything) DO NOT use it on punches.

A very slight bevel (use a fine grinding wheel) on the edges of a flat face punch will limit damage if the punch is not held perfectly vertical.

Better yet is a 3/4 hard hard brass punch.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Since any bending or flexing of a punch will dissipate the force and cause things not to move, I made my sight punches from brass bar stock.
I usually used 1"x1/2"x6" brass bar stock, which I then cut the end to fit the sight.  This won't bend or flex, won't deform as badly as a small rod type brass drift, and puts all the force on the sight,
It's also easier to get accurate strikes on with the hammer than a small round rod type.

Once you move the sight, there'll be brass marks on it.  Just use a good copper removing bore solvent to remove the brass marks.

Remove the slide from the frame, and if it's a tight sight, tape it up with plenty of tape to protect it.
Put it on a SOLID surface that won't allow it to bounce around.  A concrete floor works well.
Put a pad of paper under it to further protect it.

For a hammer, buy a ball peen hammer at any hardware store.  You don't want a really big one, nor too small.

One trick that often works very well is to buy a cheap automatic adjustable center punch at a hardware store.
Braze a glob of brass braze on the tip and file it to shape.  Keep the heat from spreading to the body and spring.
Put the punch on the sight with the slide laying on a firm surface and push the punch until it "fires".
The impact will usually move all but the really tight sights.

Years ago some company sold these as sight pushers, but you can make your own.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
email for shooboy seems to be [email protected], if this is some kind of COC violation, mods please delete it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to S&W forum (how I found him, above poster is right though with email)  and message member Shooboy he makes the best gunsmithing hammers on the market. I have the Pro and Range model comes with 5 different types of tips and I'll never buy another set of hammers again. For punches I honestly use Proto for roll pin and straight.

Yeah same here if i'm breaking some kind of code just delete...sorry in advance.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
He has more in stock if anyone is looking for one...
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I like these punches from Brownell's which have changeable brass or nylon tips:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/punches/nylon-brass-drift-punch-prod512.aspx

One can file the brass tips to shape to fit your rear site.  

However, most rear sights are in so tight that you'll need to go to a steel punch to move them.  

So you'll still need a set of steel punches.  

I like a set of all brass punches too.  I got one cheap way back at Harbor Freight, but rising metal prices seem to have eliminated that, as I haven't seen them there since.  Such sets can be had a Brownell's for a price.

Shape you brass tip like this to fit your sight.  Tips are relatively cheap, and replaceable, so you don't have to worry about ruining the whole punch.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top