Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2014 1:34:19 PM EDT
I just got a new single 10 and the action is a little gritty. I'm sure it will smooth with some shooting, but someone told me toothpaste would help. He said to mix toothpaste and water into a slurry and pour in all the cracks in the action and work it some, rinse it out and put a hair dryer to it or oven on low to dry. I have never heard of this and I wonder if it's legitimate?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I would never do that personally. I tend to stick to products made for guns.
ETA: I'd lube it and shoot it. It's 22 right? So you should have no problem putting a couple hundred rounds through it in a day. Should be enough to smooth out the action.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
DON'T.

This old gag has screwed up a lot of guns.
The abrasion is not controllable.  It will abrade parts and areas you don't want "polished".
Some surfaces require sharp edges, and this will round them off.  Depending on how much "polishing" you do you can take years of use off the gun, or even ruin parts leaving an unsafe gun.

A better option is to lubricate the gun properly and use it.  You can also dry fire it a lot, but use snap caps.
You get a lot of benefit out of just giving the action a good cleaning to remove old fouling and dried lube and applying fresh lube.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It is too new to know what it will become.  Put 500 rnds thru it and then re-evaluate.  You'd be surprised what a little bit of wear will do.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you put sand in your car's engine oil to 'break it in'?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I love breaking in new guns.  Send it to me with 2000 rounds :)   Shoot 500 rounds and if your  dick doesn't fall off shoot it some more.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Toothpaste is definitely a polish.

If you wanted to be a cheap ass (like me ), you could use it to polish some surfaces on your gun. You do not want it blindly applied to everywhere. And you want to make sure it is fully out of there when you are done so that it doesn't continue to polish things passed where they should be.

Apply it direct, without water. Polish it however you are going to. Remove with brake cleaner or something something, oil/lube, and enjoy.

I'd break it in first if for no other reason than to see the tell marks of where it's rubbing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Only if your gun has teeth.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you wanted to be a cheap ass (like me ), you could use it to polish some surfaces on your gun. You do not want it blindly applied to everywhere. And you want to make sure it is fully out of there when you are done so that it doesn't continue to polish things passed where they should be.

Apply it direct, without water. Polish it however you are going to. Remove with brake cleaner or something something, oil/lube, and enjoy.

I'd break it in first if for no other reason than to see the tell marks of where it's rubbing.
View Quote

So you do put sand in your car engine to 'break it in' faster.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that have to do with it? Polishing compounds are commonly used to smooth surfaces in firearms. Toothpaste is a polish. Try it on a DVD your kid scratched up.

Hell, I could probably use sand in my AK or Glock though
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What does that have to do with it? Polishing compounds are commonly used to smooth surfaces in firearms. Toothpaste is a polish. Try it on a DVD your kid scratched up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do not just goop up mechanisms and operate them to polish them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#12]
tooth paste is an old methood used on some guns for ppc and bullseye type guns, both 1911 and S&W.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You do not just goop up mechanisms and operate them to polish them.
View Quote

Where did I recommend that?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Shoot the gun 1000 rounds. If it still has issues, identify the parts  and the proper procedure for smoothing them.

Use jewelers paste instead of toothpaste, a little at a time, taking out the parts, cleaning it off and re lubing the parts. Only work the trigger with the paste about 25 times each time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top