Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 3:54:44 PM EDT
The top 2 shells are from a reload 40 cal. 150 grain, not quite P load. Bottom is factory remington. Shot out of a Springfield armory 3.8 inch XDm. Looks like the firing pin is dragging on the primer. My son in law reloads for me. He has never seen this before. Would this be due to the hotter load or a pistol issue. Since the factory load didn't show a problem, am thinking the springfield isn't good for this load. Haven't tested this on a different gun yet but will shortly. Any insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the firing pin hole in the breech face is a little on the large side.  None of mine show the primer flow back into the firing pin hole like that.

The Remington rounds had a small drag mark at the edge of that circle but it was way more pronounced with the reloads.

I'd try a stronger recoil spring first, to see if that delayed the slide's rearward movement which is dropping the barrel down before the firing pin has retracted.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the firing pin hole in the breech face is a little on the large side.  None of mine show the primer flow back into the firing pin hole like that.

The Remington rounds had a small drag mark at the edge of that circle but it was way more pronounced with the reloads.

I'd try a stronger recoil spring first, to see if that delayed the slide's rearward movement which is dropping the barrel down before the firing pin has retracted.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#3]
If you think the reloads are hotter back them off and see what happens. For my routine range ammo my load program is to start at the minimum published load go up until the gun functions add 2/10 of a grain beyond this and stop. No reason at all to beat up a gun with max loads
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Primers showing signs of overpressure.  There is no such thing as a +P for the .40 for a reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top