Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2014 8:37:27 AM EDT
That says it all.
I find myself with a slide that a buddy gave me a while back.
I went to work on it and guess what ....?   No disconnect scallop under there, and I'm fresh out of 1911 specific milling tools.
A search on Brownells brought me nothing.
Anyone know how to create the little scallop on the bottom of a slide without a cnc and without  ruining it?  Dremmel? drilled?
Stumped.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
McMaster, woodruff cutters.

I don't have a slide in front of me to measure, so grab your calipers and measure a finished slide to pick the right cutter.
The geometry isn't super critical, as long as the depth and front to rear location are good, and the radius isn't so small that the disconnector has to climb a steeper face, which could wear it out prematurely.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't have a slide in front of me to measure, so grab your calipers and measure a finished slide to pick the right cutter.
The geometry isn't super critical, as long as the depth and front to rear location are good, and the radius isn't so small that the disconnector has to climb a steeper face, which could wear it out prematurely.
View Quote

Great!!    thank you!  Now if I could determine which one...
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find something round to stick in a finished slide to approximate the diameter

Straight tooth, HSS, should be plenty adequate for what you are doing.

Width should be easy enough, if they don't have one the right width, get the next size down and make more than one pass.
Just note that woodruff cutters only cut on the sides, not the faces, so you'd have to feed straight in, back up, index up, and feed straight in again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have the Kuhnhausen Volume 2 book?  If so, look at page 93 for specs.  Unfortunately the radius is not listed, but judging by a 7/8" keyway cutter I have, I think that will be the right radius for you.  It's .375" long, .162" wide, and about .050" -060" deep at the center.  Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you have the Kuhnhausen Volume 2 book?  If so, look at page 93 for specs.  Unfortunately the radius is not listed, but judging by a 7/8" keyway cutter I have, I think that will be the right radius for you.  It's .375" long, .162" wide, and about .050" -060" deep at the center.  Let us know how it turns out.
View Quote

I just moved across country and am still sifting through my books. I have manuals mixed with reloading and popular mechanics..
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

With those dimensions, you're looking at a ~3/4" diameter cutter

ETA: HERE is the cutter you need, ~$25
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GREAT!!!!    I'll get one and go for it!!  
Thank you all..
I'll try to post a pic when it's done unless i screw it up.. then i'll just leave the thread and pretend i never posted here out of embarrassment.. lol
thanks again  !
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:03:14 AM EDT
[#9]
There is another way to make a cut that will work.  Infinity uses what looks like a 1/8" endmill at opposing angles to cut a V shaped recess instead of the semicircular recess.

Not my photo but it shows the essence.

If anyone's interested I can do some measurements.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is another way to make a cut that will work.  Infinity uses what looks like a 1/8" endmill at opposing angles to cut a V shaped recess instead of the semicircular recess.

Not my photo but it shows the essence.

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/kemays/media/svi221_zpsaad85be5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/svi221_zpsaad85be5.jpg</a>

If anyone's interested I can do some measurements.
View Quote

Ken, do they do anything atypical to the head of the disconnector, or is it a standard configuration? It seems (just from looking) that the 'v' cut might make for a slightly rougher ride for the disco as the slide cycles?

Larry
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
No, it's pretty standard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top