Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2013 10:27:38 PM EDT
Are there any professional gunsmith or Armorers (or shooters who have multiple guns who change their own sights) on here that install sights everyday.   If so, what is your preferred method and tools that you use for installing sights?

MGW has a new tool coming out,  and I'm thinking about getting it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with sight tools is that they are not typically designed to be universal.  A professional gunsmith likely has multiple sight tools.

I am not a pro gunsmith, but I work on my own guns and I use a tool from sightpusher.com to change or adjust sights.  It has worked well for me so far.

It's cheap and comes with inserts to fit Glock, XD, XDM,  M&P, Beretta etc.  I would not say this is the "best" tool, but it is one tool that will cover many different guns because you can change the blocks/shims and it has both a flat and slanted pusher.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]

That looks nice Wildcat.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I purchased MGW's sight pushers for H&K P2000/USP, and M&P and M&P Shield.

I've had too many "issues" with gunsmiths in the past for what should be a simple sight installation. If you want it done right...
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I do it enough to purchase the correct tools, I just purchased a MGW Sight Pro tool.  it is there new universal sight tool, just buy shoes for the guns that you own.  I've used it to replace sights on a couple of guns so far and they work just great.  Tool was a bit pricey but still a lot less than buying a couple of different tools for different manufactures, also this tool will handle high suppressor sights, the main reason I got it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do it enough to purchase the correct tools, I just purchased a MGW Sight Pro tool.  it is there new universal sight tool, just buy shoes for the guns that you own.  I've used it to replace sights on a couple of guns so far and they work just great.  Tool was a bit pricey but still a lot less than buying a couple of different tools for different manufactures, also this tool will handle high suppressor sights, the main reason I got it.
View Quote

I wonder if it will work on the sights on an FNX 45 Tactical?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Brass punch, hammer, vice with padded jaws, masking tape, 600 grit sandpaper

This ain't rocket surgery...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Arbor press and gauge blocks.
Works every time.
It only takes a small bench-top arbor press.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
For Glocks I have the MGW sight pusher, which works awesome.  For other guns I use a nylon punch (Brownell's Brass/Nylon drift punch 080-475-000WB) and hammer to drift them in or out.  Someday I will get the MGW tool for my other pistols.  Padded vise jaws also help, allowing a secure hold of the slide in a vise without damage.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
"Padded vise jaws"

Lead sheets about 1/16 inch thick.
Lasts darn near forever.

With an arbor press and gauge blocks you can put a dial indicator on the sight and KNOW how far you moved it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I want a MGW-SP1000 the Pro Model, just wish someone had a promo on it, or something ....
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have enough tools around to not want anything with limited use.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Ah I got the MGW Pro with promo codes and they had sale on all the shoes on Midwayusa. Quality tools will always have me buying them with out an excuse of how much I will use or not use it. I want the job done right and money is not a problem for me, so it will pay itself off after 5 or 6 sight jobs on customer guns. Win/win

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Go to Dawson Precision and watch some of his You Tube videos. He properly fits the sights instead of raming them in with a pusher. I have been installing sights for 20 years and I got to admit his videos just make sense.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I used a brass punch and hammer on my g26. Took a little fitting using a soapstone. I also stuck the sight in the freezer and heated the slide with a heat gun and the sight went in with a little tapping.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I put high suppressor sights on a couple of my Sigs and none of the standard tools would work, I bought the Maryland Gun Works Sight Pro Universal Sight Installation Tool and just love it.  Works with several different firearms and is fully adjustable so it works well with the higher sights as well as removing the lower ones.  If you have several different handguns that need adjusting its worth the money.  Especially on night sights turns out that old hammer and brass punch thing tends to break the vials in the sights.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I just put in my first sights on a Walther PPQ. Bought fiber optic sights from Dawson, watched his you tube video, used his supplied tools in the kit and installed them in about 10 minutes. Very easy. I like his sights and will buy some more from him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the sight pro, got it after chewing up new sights on a new Sig P226 using brass punches. Now I've replaced the sights on a Colt 1911 with it as well, it's paying for itself a little at a time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a sight pusher for my 1911s from a guy on one of the gun forums that was making and selling them for a very reasonable price. It's been a few years ago and I don't remember his name. I also just bought the MGW sight pusher for my new Shield 9mm pistol. It does a great job. The Shield sights are very tight but the sight pusher does a great job of getting them off and installing new sights.

Update: 11/12/14
I went through my tools and found my sight pusher. It's made by Jennings Machine and Tool and is for mainly S&W Autos and 1911s. Simple and easy to use and very heavy duty.  Their website is sightpushertool.com. I'm going to get a set of night sights for my Colt LW Commander and it will be the first time I have used it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top