Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2013 11:49:52 AM EDT
i get quite a bit of wear on my sights due to use in competition . I have tried the usual bluing stuff like Birchwood and while it does ok, it leaves a blue, instead of the black that i prefer.  So does anyone make a good and durable touchup blue/black?
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really.

Most all touch-up cold blues are intended to at least try to match the blue of the gun, not black.
Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is probably about as black as you'll get, and it's a more durable blue then most, which is not saying a lot, most cold blues can be wiped off with a rub or two of a finger.

Other options are to use a black magic marker or even flat black paint to touch up.  Neither will last long at all, but will at least be black.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I've found 44-40 leaves a blacker finish than Oxpho-Blue, in my experience.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really.

Most all touch-up cold blues are intended to at least try to match the blue of the gun, not black.
Brownell's Oxpho-Blue is probably about as black as you'll get, and it's a more durable blue then most, which is not saying a lot, most cold blues can be wiped off with a rub or two of a finger.

Other options are to use a black magic marker or even flat black paint to touch up.  Neither will last long at all, but will at least be black.
View Quote

This is what I do. Another option is to buy a super smoker, it's a carbide fueled flame that that will blaken your sights with the darkest flat black that I know of. It must be done just prior to your match (at the range). It rubs off when your sights come in physical contact with anything or when solvents are applied when cleaning. This little tool has been in use for decades by highpower rifle competitors.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Super Blue cold bluing is pretty dark with multiple applications.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Like borderpatrol says some carbide smoke will make your sights the darkest black you've ever seen.  This is what the ole time bullseye shooters all used.  An easier solution is Birchwood Casey sight black.  You do have to apply it regularly before matches and it rubs off too but not quite as easily as carbide soot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Stripped my 1100 3" Magnum receiver all the way from 120 to 5000grit then degrease (birchwood) then use perma blue paste, 0000 wool, and 4 coats...funny coloring is the barricade wipe i put on after to stop the process, but as it drys it darkens....impressive cold blue, just have to 0000 wool the last high/low spots tomorrow.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top