Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yet another fine example...very nice work!  That sucker looks like you couldn't make it slip if you tried!
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Did these awhile back, the pictures are crappy, but they turned out really well.

I did the one on the right first and liked the way it looked and it made it more grippy.

Did the one on the left and it took a lot less time, and is waaaay more grippy.

</a>" />

" />
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Did these awhile back, the pictures are crappy, but they turned out really well.

I did the one on the right first and liked the way it looked and it made it more grippy.

Did the one on the left and it took a lot less time, and is waaaay more grippy.

http://<a href=http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/12721625133_798273225f.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7385/12721477065_2902ee9417.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Oh now that's cool!  I did some Pmags a while back too...I did inside the panels like the one on your right...but I didn't think of doing it the way you did the left one...I'm gonna do some of my others that way!  I like it!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Last 1911 I did.   Provides more grip without being abrasive or aggressive.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]

That looks really cool.  That is the 2nd 1911 with that style of "stippling" that has shown up here on this thread.  I give you guys credit for courage...it's one thing to stipple a polymer grip...it's easier to fix if you make a boo boo.  But, taking a hammer and punch to a pretty 1911 like that...that takes some stones!  Nice Work!
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I decided to stipple my Glock. I think it turned out well for my first time!
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That looks really cool.  That is the 2nd 1911 with that style of "stippling" that has shown up here on this thread.  I give you guys credit for courage...it's one thing to stipple a polymer grip...it's easier to fix if you make a boo boo.  But, taking a hammer and punch to a pretty 1911 like that...that takes some stones!  Nice Work!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you, it is satisfying to do it myself
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
M&P 9c. I only did the front/back straps for now, may do the sides later when I decide on a pattern.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
So here is my first attempt on a pistol, (tried two pmags this week).
Good, Bad, Or ugly? Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa257/casexx6383/guns/IMG_20140320_140314_859.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa257/casexx6383/guns/IMG_20140320_140305_780.jpg
View Quote
 Wow!  You are a patient man.  That looks like it took some time and care to get that so even.  Well done.  How does that feel?  Looks like it might be a bit more aggressive than I would care for but it is all in the "hand of the holder" so to speak.  I like the overall look though.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 Wow!  You are a patient man.  That looks like it took some time and care to get that so even.  Well done.  How does that feel?  Looks like it might be a bit more aggressive than I would care for but it is all in the "hand of the holder" so to speak.  I like the overall look though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa257/casexx6383/guns/IMG_20140320_140314_859.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa257/casexx6383/guns/IMG_20140320_140305_780.jpg

It is aggressive, but I like it. Most people who handled it say it is too aggressive, but my competition guys say it is just right. I needed the complement. thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It is aggressive, but I like it. Most people who handled it say it is too aggressive, but my competition guys say it is just right. I needed the complement. thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard that with some of the more aggressive textures you can end up with little points on the edges of each "crater".  Kind of like the tip of an ice cream cone from where the plastic pulls up as you pull the iron away.  I hear that if you go over the whole thing with fine sand paper to take the points off it takes some of the "bite" out of the texture but doesn't take away from the grip.  If that makes sense.  Over time they will probably wear off from use anyway but you might like it even more if you take them off now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a couple of G19's & sig P239 grip panels.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Here is a couple of G19's & sig P239 grip panels.

View Quote
I have no idea how you did this but that looks factory and great!

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you ,

I was pretty careful to make sure the heat iron was moving as to not burn thru & keep the look & more importantly the feel when all is said & done consistent , I was really careful following my lines that I had sketched first on the frame & also careful around the glock insignia.

It works great. I had a chance to run the guns some more yesterday & I can't get over what a difference the stipple & removing finger humps did for me.
I Like the look of your 29 , I would definitely need some stipple on 10mm , looks good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Or you can learn how to use a checkering file.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice collection, and lots of nice stippling work. Well done.

View All Quotes

Thank You
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:37:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Gen 4 G17. This was the first time I have done this. Now I got a ton of other crap I am gunna stipple.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/E760oXm.jpg?1

Gen 4 G17. This was the first time I have done this. Now I got a ton of other crap I am gunna stipple.
View Quote

Looks great!  It can get a little addictive.  Once you feel the difference it is easy to want to everything.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looks great!  It can get a little addictive.  Once you feel the difference it is easy to want to everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/E760oXm.jpg?1

Thanks. I went with a texture that made it easier to grip over stock, but wouldn't become uncomfortable in extended range sessions. I am quite happy as to how it came out.

Yup, it is a bit addicting. lol. Right now I have a pile of P-mags and AFG/VFG's that are gunna get stippled.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's one I cerakoted and stippled, guys if you are wondering what I used to make that nice border its called a veining tool used for wood checkering, but get a good one! I asked all the top guys to give me that information and they acted like it was a secret from God. So I figured it out on my own after some experimenting.

So here's to them!

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Here's one I cerakoted and stippled, guys if you are wondering what I used to make that nice border its called a veining tool used for wood checkering, but get a good one! I asked all the top guys to give me that information and they acted like it was a secret from God. So I figured it out on my own after some experimenting.

So here's to them!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/40xd.jpg
View Quote
Thank you! I have been using a small file, I will look into that. Looks great!

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So here's to them!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/40xd.jpg

Thanks! And no problem this will cut your time as well, it really doesn't take too long, first make a light scratch to give you the line path you want then come back with a deeper cut to finish the groove/border. The other checkering tools work well for the straight sections too.

My first attempt was using a razor blade, I made one "V" cut then another making a "V", that was a pain the ass, but it worked and took hours. lol Then I remembered cutting linoleum in art class and I tried one of those cutters, it worked well but I often had to sharpen. The good veining tools are made from hardened steel or carbide and work extremely well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Stippling3
by ImDTux, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Removed the Gen 4 finger grooves and slimmed down the trigger guard.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Stippled the M&P today.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Very nice work everybody.  I sold the two that I started this thread with at a gun show about a month back.  Got a new Gen 3 G19 and G26.  Now I have something else to stipple.  Just have to decide what to do...oh who am I kidding...I'll probably go with the same texture.  It was super comfortable and very grippy.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey, just the masking tape helped keep the line that straight?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hey, just the masking tape helped keep the line that straight?
View Quote

Masking tape is what I used.  Seemed to work pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Just finished up a G23

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#41]
logo by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

side by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#42]
borders are gay. turns a tool into a barbie doll.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
borders are gay. turns a tool into a barbie doll.
View Quote

to each their own.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's a potato phone picture of my current setup-

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have heard that with some of the more aggressive textures you can end up with little points on the edges of each "crater".  Kind of like the tip of an ice cream cone from where the plastic pulls up as you pull the iron away.  I hear that if you go over the whole thing with fine sand paper to take the points off it takes some of the "bite" out of the texture but doesn't take away from the grip.  If that makes sense.  Over time they will probably wear off from use anyway but you might like it even more if you take them off now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is awesome, looks great, its different and looks honeycombish. I dig it!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#46]

... uh how did you do it? I am looking to do a different pattern on my FN and this might be it. Did you draw it on first?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I wanna know how telemarker did this as well, this is probably my favorite one
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Just got around to doing a little work on my 19 and 26.  Didn't cover as much area as I had done on the 23 and 27 that started this thread.  I only did the front finger grooves, the left side "thumb depression" and the spot just in front of the take down lever.  I also hit the base of my 26 mag.

Sorry the pics are with my phone...hope they are not to fuzzy.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Decided to go a little further today.  Put some texture on the surface of the factory texture on the backstrap.  Not very noticeable visually, but what a difference it makes in the grip!

Now I think I'm done with these two.  Need to get out to the range and try them out!

G26 before:

G26 after:

G19 after:

Edit: Here is one more of the 26 not so close up.  Really don't notice it until you hold it!

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top