Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
Author
Perdona a tus enemigos pero recuerdo sus nombres.
Posted: 1/11/2012 2:57:07 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
My Browning BDM that I have been so pleased with up until this point exhibited some failures to fire today. It would, however, fire the round with a second hammer blow each time. All of the various brands of ammunition I tried seemed to exhibit the same oddly offset primer hit.

I am thinking the firing pin is slightly bent, although I have no idea how that happens. It seems to be bent so it sets off most rounds but a few are just far out to not be hit hard enough for ignition on some. All other functions like ejection are fine, and there is no pattern to this malfunction. My thought would be to replace both the firing pin and spring while I'm in there -

Do you think this is the correct diagnosis and cure?

Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarrass him.

StealthyBlagga
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/11/2012 3:24:30 PM
[Last Edit: 1/11/2012 3:27:03 PM by StealthyBlagga]
Nope, a bent firing pin would not do this on any semi-auto because the tip is guided by the firing pin hole in the slide.

Its more likely that the gun is trying to fire with the slide SLIGHTLY out of battery; the breech end of the barrel tips up into the slide as the gun locks up (cycle it by hand to see what I mean), so if slightly out of battery, the firing pin will not align fully with the primer.

My first guess would be oversize ammo - are you running reloads or factory? Could also just need a good clean, or something might be defective (e.g. weak recoil spring). I suggest you give it a good clean, including around the barrel hood and locking lugs, get some new factory ammo, and see if the problem works itself out.
Tirador223
Perdona a tus enemigos pero recuerdo sus nombres.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/11/2012 6:00:59 PM
All good points, but the ammunition mentioned was all factory stuff.

Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarrass him.

StealthyBlagga
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:49:00 AM
Originally Posted By Tirador223:

My statement stands - the most likely cause it that the gun is trying to fire from slightly out of battery. You need to find out why - this is a safety issue, not just a reliability issue.
1MAC
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2012 2:26:27 PM
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:

My statement stands - the most likely cause it that the gun is trying to fire from slightly out of battery. You need to find out why - this is a safety issue, not just a reliability issue.

I agree with the above post. An OOB discharge will be very unpleasant and possibly very dangerous. You might start with a thorough cleaning and lubrication if the gun is extremely dirty. I would also replace the recoil spring if the gun has been shot very much or is old.
brickeyee
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2012 4:07:35 PM
Originally Posted By 1MAC:

I agree with the above post. An OOB discharge will be very unpleasant and possibly very dangerous. You might start with a thorough cleaning and lubrication if the gun is extremely dirty. I would also replace the recoil spring if the gun has been shot very much or is old.

34,000 PSI gas will just toughen up his face a little.

It is the brass shards that are the problem.

RaynoEleven
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2012 4:15:33 PM
Nope, a bent firing pin would not do this on any semi-auto because the tip is guided by the firing pin hole in the slide.

Its more likely that the gun is trying to fire with the slide SLIGHTLY out of battery; the breech end of the barrel tips up into the slide as the gun locks up (cycle it by hand to see what I mean), so if slightly out of battery, the firing pin will not align fully with the primer.

My first guess would be oversize ammo - are you running reloads or factory? Could also just need a good clean, or something might be defective (e.g. weak recoil spring). I suggest you give it a good clean, including around the barrel hood and locking lugs, get some new factory ammo, and see if the problem works itself out.

This.

Probably need a stronger recoil spring. But dirt or other debris, or weak ammo, might slow feeding enough to cause this. It is potentially a dangerous situation. Identify and correct the problem before continuing to shoot the gun.They probably fire on the second strike as the first hammer fall drove the slide into battery.
NRA life member

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be prchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death. Patrick Henry
CAFR
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/7/2012 1:59:30 AM
I would take it to a good pistolsmith to check all of the above, together with the timing. Could be time for a new barrel lug link and pins.
eric10mm
Zone 5 Resistance Leader
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/7/2012 2:02:03 AM

Originally Posted By CAFR:
I would take it to a good pistolsmith to check all of the above, together with the timing. Could be time for a new barrel lug link and pins.

Yup. See a lot of 1911 brass with offset primer hits and it ain't right.
“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson
eric10mm
Zone 5 Resistance Leader
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/7/2012 2:03:51 AM

Originally Posted By brickeyee:
Originally Posted By 1MAC:

34,000 PSI gas will just toughen up his face a little.

It is the brass shards that are the problem.

Naw. They work themselves back out in a few years. BTDT.

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson