Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2017 8:28:31 PM EDT
I've recently got back into revolvers again after a long hiatus, which had led me to be more on the lookout lately when looking at my local stores and on Armslist

Was looking through Armslist I saw a posting for a S&W 640-1, the pictures weren't the greatest but the guy was willing to trade (which is a must for me cause I'm expecting my first kid so funds are tight). We exchanged emails back and forth, finally arranging a deal for a Glock 43 I had gotten on trade for the 640-1

I had looked up the price ranges in my area, they were selling around $450-600 in good condition. Worked out a straight trade with the gentleman and meet up earlier today

Once we met up, I got to looking over the revolver while he did the same with the Glock 43. The gentleman I got it from hadn't cleaned it in some time, had owned it for the past 5 years, and had the worse grips (at least in my humble opinion possible) Barami hip grips which I immediately took off to check the frame. They hadn't been off in some time for cleaning, so some surface rust and pitting had started around the edges. Also the left side of the trigger has bad putting on it

Normally once a deal is struck with someone, I stick to it unless something comes up but this was in alot rougher shape than was advertised and from pictures he had sent me before we met. We struck up a conversation, renegotiated the deal to were I was comfortable doing it and to compensate for the miscommunication.

I got it home and started cleaning it up. Trigger is very nice, I really enjoy the weight of the revolver. Got to thinking about it, made a call to my local gunsmith and asked about bead blasting it. To completely clean up the revolver, bead blast it, and install new spring will run me about $150. Just have to make up my mind about whether I want to go that route

It's pictured without the grips cause I didn't want to put them back on cause I disliked the Baramis so much. Do have a set of Altaman boot grips ordered for it

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
No offense..I think you made a bad trade.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No offense..I think you made a bad trade.
View Quote
None taken, it might not have been a trade that everyone would have made. But at same time, I prefer the S&W Shield over the Glock 43, and I got the 43 in trade plus cash for a built AR I had.

Then I traded the 43 for this along with receiving more in trade due to the condition not being as advertised.

It may not look the prettiest right now, but it's something about taken a neglected firearm and bringing it back to its former glory that I thoroughly enjoy. Plus if I decide I ever want another Glock 43, all I need due is go to my favorite local gun store and pay the blue label price. Can't due the same with a prelock S&W
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice find!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Had some free time, so have slowly been working on cleaning up the 340-1

Still need to do some more work on it, just taking my time and slowly working on it.

Got my new grips in, Altamont boot grips which I really like. Alot better than those trips that were on it when I got it.

Also had some down time the other day and went to my local gun store, checked out the new S&W 340 PD, make have to pick one of them up as well. But for now, will just work on paying off a 442 I have on layaway

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top