Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2017 10:13:29 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I have a quick question. I had a friend ask me if I could find him a barrel for his .40 S&W Shield. He wants to convert it from .40 to 9mm and be able to switch back and forth. I am thinking that it can't be done but I told him I would ask around and see if it can be. I thought I read somewhere (can't find it now) that a .40 cal barrel is thicker than a 9mm barrel in the Shield.

Also is there anything else that might not work like magazines?

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just buy a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel.
View Quote
Ok he has a 40 cal Sheild and wants a drop in barrel. What am I looking for exactly? Just a conversion barrel or a Shield 9mm barrel?

He doesn't use the internet and I don't own a Shield so I am learning a bit about them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like Apex has a conversation barrel. MSRP is $199. For another $40 he could just but another pistol.

Plus
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like Apex has a conversation barrel. MSRP is $199. For another $40 he could just but another pistol.

Plus
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155324/eeb293b58ab7c8646b4c9e087c72bf9a-254278.JPG
View Quote
I will have to tell him that. I keep seeing that dropping a 9mm factory barrel into a 40 Shield won't work or is not advised. I would rather buy another gun myself and not just a barrel. The Shield isn't badly priced to start with.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing the OD of the barrel is larger on the 40, so you'd want a replacement barrel that has the 40 profile.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I was told the .40 barrel forks/tines are spaced farther apart so factory barrels aren't swappable.

Extractors are different too, but most say it's not enough difference to matter, others say it's not 100% reliable.

If a conversion barrel is $200 plus the cost of 9mm mags your friend would probably been better off buying another 9 when S&W was running the $75 rebate last month. Although they are running another deal starting this month with extra mags & ammo. I think that's for all M&P pistols including shields.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
True Precision has a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel. i have no experience with them, but they seem quite popular on Instagram.

40 to 9mm conversion barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top