Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2017 6:21:18 PM EDT
Which would you buy and why?

I'll may end up with both, but if you could only buy one or the other, which one?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Smith and Wesson 686, 6 shot.

Why?

I can get one without the "Hillary Hole."  If I really needed more rounds....I'd get a semi auto pistol.  Speed loaders can be easily found.  Leather to carry the weapon and speed loaders are easily found.

Just my $0.02.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had both and prefer the L frame over the N. Like Mark said the extras are easier to find and if you need more rounds get a semi auto.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never even shot one, but fondled a few.  But it does seem like the general consensus from so many comments is that the 686 is pretty much the Gold Standard for a service sized revolver.  Easy to shoot.  The ones I've fondled at the LGS always have nice triggers.  I think someday I might need a 4" 686.  I'd settle for a 586 too though.  But I don't have any SS guns, so......

I don't really prefer the looks of the underlug, but who cares about looks when it works really well.  Plus the added weight is supposedly a benefit.  But the 27 does have it's following.....
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Long time revolver guy here, I shoot a revolver better than anything else including tuned 1911's
For me the slightly smaller k frame is my favorite but can understand people
Liking the slightly heavier duty l frames. Tried as I might I never found the large n frames comfortable to shoot and was never as smooth fast or accurate as I am with the smaller frame sizes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you going to do with it? If you are going to shoot any competition buy whichever fits what game or division you want to shoot.  I've shot both and they both work fine. Do you want to use moonclips?

They are both great
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]

(  If I'm gonna lug around a heavy N frame, it will be a 44 or 45 )

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input guys. 

Not shooting any competition and don't have any specific reason to buy either one. I may end up carrying one or the other part time. 

I had a 686 6" that I bought back in 87', I gave it to my nephew when he joined the mil a couple years ago. I only put about 100 rounds thru that gun, it was a safe Queen for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not one that gets all bent out of shape about the "lock/no lock" deal...

With that said, I recently bought a 627 Pro and after some work, I am very happy with it. I'll say it had some factory issues, crap barrel crown, hand slightly out of timing with the cylinder causing a very hard trigger pull, canted barrel. I sent if back to S&W to get the barrel fixed and had my gunsmith fix the rest. Now she's lean and mean...and the trigger if superb (but that would be the same with any worked revolver).

Here she is wearing some Hogue grips:

The pistol is a joy to shoot. It' a great size and the larger frame handles full house magnum round perfectly. My only complaints were what I consider to be the factory defects that I had to deal with...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are not going to compete with it then I would lean towards a 686+ (7-shot),  But if your thinking about competing then go with a 686 (6-shot) for IDPA or the 627 for USPSA.  The 627 is big revolver so unless you know you want/need 8-shots its probably a heavier gun then you want a 357 Mag to be.

My USPSA setup 627PC, Blade-tech Holster with homemade Drop & No Offset, North Mountain Moonclip holder.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top