Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2017 6:10:50 PM EDT
I just brought home a new shield today.  

Now for some questions.

Had to get one with a safety.   Dealer said FDE was only available w/safety.   True?  Any way to remove / disable it?

Magguts +1 good to go?

Who has the best pricing on 8rnd mags?

Any suggestions for paddle OWB holsters?  I usually go leather but would consider kydex.  It just needs to be comfortable.

I've only dry fired it do far but I think the trigger is decent.   Gonna hold off on Apex'ing it for a bit.

The slide release is unbelievably hard to push down.  Will this get easier with use?

Thanks

ETA photo

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Apex + magguts  

I don't recall the slide release itself being hard, but certainly racking the slide back that last 1/8" when reassembling was and still is pretty hard.

ETA:  I don't use the slide release to actually release the slide.  I use the overhand method, recommended in general. So if the slide release is stiff I may have never noticed.

Removing the safety:

M&P Shield Manual Safety Removal
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
MagGuts is gtg, I have both their +1 and +2 conversions on some of my Shield mags and to date they've been 100%.
Take an emery board and *lightly* polish the slide stop where it contacts the slide. This plus range time will eventually make it a functional slide release (I've done this on all 4 of my new Shield 9mm's).
Ebay currently has 8rd mags for $24.76/ea shipped, GrabAGun has them for $22.99/ea plus shipping.
HTH...

Tomac
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got 350 rounds through magguts plus 2 z spring system on the 7 round mag and the 8 round mag.  700 rounds, perfect.  Really ran them to make sure I could trust them.  Love the plus 2 on the 7 round mag.  Perfect purchase with the pinky. Way more concealable than Hyde.

Have crossbreed, pj and alien gear holsters. All blow. Put a tlr6 on it and got a Sticky mod 4.  Outstanding!   Never going back,  can wear it an position. Easy peasy 26 bucks.  

Got about 2700 rounds through it, really sweetened up the trigger.  

My most carried pistol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't waste $ on magguts.Did not function well at least in my case. I could not get the darn thing to install properly or load more than 7 rounds when installed. I watched several videos and read  the instructions 10 times just to be certain that I was doing it correctly.Buy another mag with the money.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't waste $ on magguts.Did not function well at least in my case. I could not get the darn thing to install properly or load more than 7 rounds when installed. I watched several videos and read  the instructions 10 times just to be certain that I was doing it correctly.Buy another mag with the money.
View Quote
I've installed in 2-3 mags in different model guns and never had any problems all, except perhaps that the springs were stiff and a bit hard to hold in place while installing.  But once installed they all function 100%.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
By this rational, I'd say don't buy a FDE shield because mine failed after 5 rounds.  It did come with a third mag from the seller.

PSA is currently selling 8rd mags for 20 bucks a piece.  Midway had the mags on sale a few times since Apr.  

Personally, I'm waiting until the end of the summer to see what Smith has up their sleeve.  If they do redesign the Shield, I'm hoping they do the same with the 9mm mags to be more inline with the 45 mags.  If not, then I can see buying some magguts for my mags.  I'll probably go with one +2 and two +1 kits.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone.

I ordered 5 8rnd mags from psa.  19.95 with free shipping sounded good to me.

I'll probably get 2 +1 magguts and see how it goes.  There's just something about having the magic 10 rounds.

Going to shoot it this weekend and hopefully the slide release loosens up a bit.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#8]
FDE 9mm shields are available without the safety. I bought one. In the big rebate thread in GD I posted up a pic of it.

Apparently they're a rare bird.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful gun, fde looks great.

I prefer the safety on my shield, I keep it off when in holster and safety on when bit on my person, backpack, car, etc. Gives options imo
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Update -

Took it to the range today.  Only put 100 rounds of fmj and 50 rounds of hollow point through it.  Shot flawless. No trouble at all.

I really like this gun.  I can't believe I'm saying this but I like it much more than my g43.  The palm bump and short grip on the 43 sucks and makes it hard for me to shoot well.  In my opinion, the trigger on the shield is better too.

I think I'm going to be different with this shield and get an Alien Gear IWB cloke 3 holster for it.

Have a great day.

Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FDE 9mm shields are available without the safety. I bought one. In the big rebate thread in GD I posted up a pic of it.

Apparently they're a rare bird.
View Quote
Where did you find it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not really a slide release, it is a slide lock. The small size of it combined with the right recoil spring make it so you just need to slingshot it to release the slide after reloading the mag. Lots of the smaller modern guns are like that, so it's nothing to be worried about. Most people rack the slide relardless so they don't have to worry about fidgeting with the small parts (or they buy an extended slide release--but that's not something you'd probably want on a Shield).

I like the safety on the Shield. The FDE looks cool.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not really a slide release, it is a slide lock. The small size of it combined with the right recoil spring make it so you just need to slingshot it to release the slide after reloading the mag. Lots of the smaller modern guns are like that, so it's nothing to be worried about. Most people rack the slide relardless so they don't have to worry about fidgeting with the small parts (or they buy an extended slide release--but that's not something you'd probably want on a Shield).

I like the safety on the Shield. The FDE looks cool.
View Quote
Well mine was a slide lock however after about an hour or so working with it on the couch.  It is now a slide lock and release.

Just smooth it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top