Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2017 5:30:17 PM EDT
I couldn't resist the Shield deal going on so I snagged a 9mm with factory night sites and a third mag from Grab-a-gun.

Two things I want to improve after first handling it:

(1)  The trigger seems ok but could use a little something done to it.  What is recommended to smooth & lighten it up just a little without a major hassle & not buying any special tools?  I want to summer carry it so I just want a reliable and safe trigger without much hassle or expense.  the trigger shape seems good to me so I'm not interested in switching that.  I think I remember reading that the sear (?) is a major hassle to change out and the rear sight needs to be pulled??

(2) The grip feels pretty good but I think I might need some adhesive side panels to thicken it up just a hair.  Not the sandpaper type but the rubberized style.  Not thinking I'm interested in a full wrap-around job.

What are your recommendations from the hive?

thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I plan to add the Apex trigger kit soon. For a cheap rubber grip, bike inner tubes have work pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
talon grips (rubber) or a pachmyr sleeve for the grip (I use the sleeve on mine)

the Sear is simple it's the striker block plunger that requires the rear sight to be removed.
the sear itself can lighten the pull by almost 2 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan to add the Apex trigger kit soon. For a cheap rubber grip, bike inner tubes have work pretty good for me.
View Quote
I am asking about adhesive side panels only...not interested in cheapo mods or wrap-around kits
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
talon grips (rubber) or a pachmyr sleeve for the grip (I use the sleeve on mine)

the Sear is simple it's the striker block plunger that requires the rear sight to be removed.
the sear itself can lighten the pull by almost 2 pounds.
View Quote
That's what it was...thanks for the clarification.

So possibly a sear.  Any springs or other small parts?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's what it was...thanks for the clarification.

So possibly a sear.  Any springs or other small parts?
View Quote
there is spring that is under the sear  but you don't "need"to replace it.
here's the link to all of the Shield Apex options
Apex tactical kits for shield 9 and 40
there are plenty of videos online showing how to do this , it looks pretty
simple, if I end up grabbing a Shield in .45 I will give it a go.
I had a gunsmith rework the trigger on my shield 9 (no apex parts)
so I haven't tried it yet, but the "Sear" part of the upgrade looks pretty easy
(and this area is not my fortay by any means LOL!)

this is the sear you want
Shield Sear
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Talon grips.  They don't make the grip appreciably thicker, but they do allow better purchase on the grip.  They're relatively inexpensive and are easy to apply.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Or as an alternative to all of that, you could just shoot it a bunch and everything will smooth out.  This is a carry gun, not a bullseye target pistol.
View Quote
Wait, wut?

It is MORE important in a self defense situation to actually hit your target.

I suggest in a carry pistol to always set up a trigger for accuracy, the really shitting triggers M&P puts in these guns is saddening.
Two things to do (IMHO) to a carry is get the trigger and sights to where you want, other than that a bunch of ammo and range time.
And a good comfy holster, because, for 99% of us, that is where it will spend its entire life. Meaning, we will probably never have to use it for its intended purpose.
However, being intimately familiar with it is a must.

My 9c, has a full Apex kit, and good iDots.

I can even run it in a competition ( USPSA/IDPA) if I so choose. Cant think of a better way to become "one" with an EDC.

Thats just my opinion, so flame away
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Just picked up a shield recently. Installed the apex trigger kit, installed ameriglo hackathorne sights, and talon grips. Ran great shooting steel last week. You'll like the talon grips. Just clean the with the provided alcohol wipes, place the grips on and use a hair dryer to heat up the grip. Feels good in the hand and just short of a stippling job.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have.

I want a pistol I can shoot to the absolute limit of my ability if I ever have to shoot to save my life.

Betting on 'close range, center of mass' targets during a self-defense situation is, IMHO, 'hoping' rather than 'planning.'

Larry
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have you ever pointed a pistol at another human being and hoped they'd surrender????  I don't care about sporting games, I mean when you are on the street. I have, hundreds of times, and fortunately, they all surrendered.  As stated, the gun is fine for it's intended purpose out of the box.  I can hit the target quite well at any distance I'd try to with a pistol. Center mass at 50 yards is easily doable.
View Quote
With an M&P?????
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Shield I bought used and it has about 350 rounds through it now, and I would estimate that the sear has wiped the striker about a thousand times by now. I can get zero sight movement squeezing the trigger and its consistent. I have a hard time justifying spending half the cost of the gun again on a trigger kit when this pistol needs to have a degree of disposability.

As for the grip, I know you said you don't like wrap-around grips, but a Hogue with the palm swell just fits so nice into my hand, and it stays put, it rarely needs adjusting back into place. This one came with talon grips on it and I didn't like them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top