Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2017 8:08:54 PM EDT
I bought an SD9VE last year and love it.  Solid, reliable, decent fit and finish, inexpensive.  I decided to take advantage of the latest rebates and buy another.  Got it today and didn't notice any issues at the shop.  When I got it home and really looked at it...Boy, the frame sucks.  The checkering is muted and nowhere near as grippy as the other one.  The grip is pretty slick.  The frame halves are obvious due to the sloppy looking fit, distinct seam, and untrimmed flashing all along the seam.  Additionally it is lighter and feels more plasticy.

Did S&W change frame materials?  When?  The crappy looking one is a FY serial number the the good one is FX.  I'm assuming I got an old stock gun and I'm kind of pissed about that.  

That is all.  Bummer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
So, based on my disappointment, I sent an email to S&W telling them about my experience.  They requested pictures then asked if I wanted to send it in for a "finish evaluation" though they said it looks to be in spec.  Realistically, this is a $300 gun and spending time sending it in for this doesn't seem like its worth it.  I don't even know what they would do if they agreed the frame looks like crap.  But each time I look at the comparison photos took I get ticked off.  The frame looks like cheap plastic garbage and feels slick.  Very different from my other one.  The frame on my Kel Tec p32 looks and feels nicer.

I'm tempted to not even shoot the thing and throw it on Gunbroker or Armslist.  Thoughts on sending it in?  I know that I'm overreacting over a cheap gun, and that I should just throw on a hogue grip and be done, but I just feel kind of swindled in some way.

I have pictures I want to post from my tablet...How do I do that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Ugh.  I thought the new forum allowed for direct posting.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ehhh its a cheap trunk gun... Got mine today
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why won't my pictures show?
View Quote
I can see it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
send it back in.   That frame looks funky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top