Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2017 12:52:55 PM EDT
I have a hogue tamer grip on my 442 so it's a little bigger than normal.  

I keep going back to my J frame over something bigger.  For around the house and just everyday type stuff.  An auto in a bit more capacity in that type of role would be good.  Not sure if the shield would be like this.  But it seems like it has the potential to.....

Just wanting to hear any experiences with that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I don't think any semi auto carries as easily as a J frame, but they're easier to shoot, hold more ammo, and are way faster to reload.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I don't think any semi auto carries as easily as a J frame, but they're easier to shoot, hold more ammo, and are way faster to reload.
View Quote
This.

I switch back and forth.

642/ Shield 9

642 carries easier

Feel better preppard with the Shield
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say easier. The Shield is as easy to carry as any handgun I've ever carried.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This.

I switch back and forth.

642/ Shield 9

642 carries easier

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I switch back and forth.

642/ Shield 9

642 carries easier

This is where I am. 340/Shield. 340 is easier to pocket carry.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
how can you guys find snubbies to be easier to carry than a shield? the shield is a pancake in comparison.  I find the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would say easier. The Shield is as easy to carry as any handgun I've ever carried.
View Quote
Yup.  Rather carry my shield any day.  In a good holster you forget it's there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how can you guys find snubbies to be easier to carry than a shield? the shield is a pancake in comparison.  I find the exact opposite.
View Quote
It may be thicker overall, but the rounded shape and the short height (from the top of the frame to the bottom of the grip) make is really easy to conceal for me.  I think I could conceal my J frame AIWB wearing compression fit Under Armor.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
In my experience it really depends on how you are carrying. The J-frame seems to carry a little better in the pocket and on the ankle. The Shield carries better along the waistband. Overall I would prefer the Shield.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I should've made that clear.  I carry IWB strong side.  I've thought about carrying the j frame AIWB but never made the leap yet.

Even where I carry it, a J frame is like, almost not there.  Which is why I go to it sometimes with certain clothes.....  But I might have to try the shield.  Cuz yeah, I'd feel better armed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
It depends on how and where you a carrying what. Ankle and pocket? The J frame all the way. IWB and OWB go to the shield. My carry j frame is easy to carry no matter what because it only weighs about 10oz. Today it is on my ankle ridding in a Galco ankle glove.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm carrying my J frame AIWB for the first time today.  All day.  Not bad.  And a little faster and easier on the draw.   Not sure if I'll stay that way.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry the j-frame more frequently because it is smaller in height and length and is much easier to pocket carry. Even though it is wider, the wider section is a round cylinder, which makes it much less noticeable.

My Shield 9 is thinner, but the added dimensions (also from the TLR-6 laser/light) and lighter trigger make it just hard enough to carry that its IWB/OWB and not pocket.

Its just a tool in the box. Pick the right one for the job. More gun = more hassle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:37:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm carrying my J frame AIWB for the first time today.  All day.  Not bad.  And a little faster and easier on the draw.   Not sure if I'll stay that way.
View Quote
I remember this discussion between us. How is it working for you?

And what happened to your affair with the G26, now you suddenly want a Shield?

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Used to pocket carry 642-CT in this;

Now I pocket carry Shield9/TLR6 in this;

Detroitholster.com ^
5rds of 38 vs 10rds of 9+P [Magguts.com follower]

642CT sits in the safe
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you even Barami, bro?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
They probably are flipping the safety on the Shield tossing it in their pants pocket.

With a proper holster the Shied carries better.

And you get 8-9 rounds instead of 5.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I should've made that clear.  I carry IWB strong side.  I've thought about carrying the j frame AIWB but never made the leap yet.

Even where I carry it, a J frame is like, almost not there.  Which is why I go to it sometimes with certain clothes.....  But I might have to try the shield.  Cuz yeah, I'd feel better armed.
View Quote
Answered your own question.

Theres no reason to carry a revolver in stead of an auto-loader, unless you expect to encounter animals larger than humans.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Answered your own question.

Theres no reason to carry a revolver in stead of an auto-loader, unless you expect to encounter animals larger than humans.
View Quote
Maybe there is no reason for YOU to carry a revolver instead, but there are a LOT of people out there who are not you.

I carry almost exclusively AIWB and never pocket carry. I prefer to have at least the first shot coming out of a gun pointing at my nads to be DA. I like J-frames for the excellent DA triggers on them and really dislike all the triggers I have squeezed on striker fired firearms. I do not go places where I will need a ton of firepower. I mostly carry to have something on me around the house or when I walk the dogs. Were I to decide I need more firepower I will add a second J frame behind the hip for 10rd of 357. If CZ ever comes out with a sub compact P01 or P07 single stack that I can get three fingers on the grip I will get one of those. Until then I am quite happy with my Model 36 and two 640-1's.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#22]
About the same for me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

At some point, even the most ardent fan realizes that glocks carry like a brick.
View Quote
LOL.  Made me laugh.  Thank you.

But seriously, GSL, I do like the G26.  But....  Glocks....   It really is a good way to go.  My main issue with it is that it give me BTF, last round of mags.  Not all the time.  But a LOT.  I think I figured out in this case it's moreso with weaker ammo.  2 range sessions ago, every single last round of a mag was landing on the bill of my hat.  Well, I take that back, one of them actually ejected to the left of the gun and very poorly.  Just the last round of each mag mind you.  The landing on the top of the bill of hat is a concern for me. I wear glasses and hot brass that has the potential to land squarely inbetween my eyeball and glasses and get trapped in there during a shooting would be a bad thing (I don't wear hats ever, except at the range).  Even it bouncing off of them would be a bit of distraction.  I know, seems like a 1 in a million.  But if it's consistently ejecting right toward the face, I don't know.  Maybe likely.  

That said, that was all range ammo that day.  And when I tried carry ammo, it's not as bad.  More like normal ejection and maybe top of the head at times.  Either way, I'm not sure I like that.  And then there is the fact that Glock people just piss me off.  Every thread about BTF that ever comes up on here you get some dudes saying there's no way it's the gun and you're not as big of an operator as them and you don't deserve to shoot such a perfect gun because you're a woman with dainty hands.  No matter how much evidence one is shown that it might very well be the gun.  It is so infuriating I want to take a hammer and smash the thing to pieces.  Now, admittedly, it's a little stupid to let my emotions of how certain people act be attached to the gun, but in the course of my life there has been so much kool aid Glock attitude that it really gets under my skin.   And I'm human and don't always make decision based solely and purely on fact and practicality.  

Smith and Wesson, American made.   I like that.  Part of me doesn't want to support some Austrian rich mogel that can't seem to be bothered with understanding their guns don't work like they used to.  Plus I still have bad feelings with Germans and Nazi's and I don't really know the whole history behind Austria and who did what in the war, but I'm pretty sure some of them were Nazi's.  Whether or not they were conscripted I don't know.  Anyways...  I know crazy talk.  But that's what you get with me.    You asked.  LOL.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never owned a snubbie and the only perspective I have is that I carry my Glock 17 more than I carry my Shield.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Snubbys are just another tool in the tool box. I suspect the ones here saying there is no reason to carry a revolver over a semi auto have never owned or carried a snub. There is a reason they are popular. They are small and light. As for the issue of bulk from the cylinder well.. There isn't an issue. The cylinder of a j frame is no thicker really then the slide of a Glock 19. The rest of a j frame is light and thin. The height of the j frame is also small. Then there is the firepower. 5 rounds of either a solid performing .38 or a .357 brings a lot to the fight.

I am not advocating carrying only one or the other, I am advocating carrying both. A j frame cost next to nothing in terms of weight and bulk to carry. A good pocket holster/ankle holster will allow you to augment your IWB/OWB primary carry.

Depending on where I am going to be at dictates what I carry. Today I spent the day in a not so nice area of SW Atlanta. For me this meant a S&W M&P 340 .357 on the ankle, a Beretta Nano 9mm in the pocket and a Glock 19 Surefire XC1 IWB with a spare mag for both the G19 and Nano with a speed strip for the 340. I wore jeans and a tshirt today with a pair of new balances. My ankle holster is a Galco ankle glove, my pocket holster for the Nano is from Detroit holster and my G19 XC1 IWB and mag pouch is from KT Mech. I was comfortable all day. I was well armed too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a feeling the more I do AIWB, the more I'm going to keep doing it.  I might want to get a tuckable holster though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOL.  Made me laugh.  Thank you.

But seriously, GSL, I do like the G26.  But....  Glocks....   It really is a good way to go.  My main issue with it is that it give me BTF, last round of mags.  Not all the time.  But a LOT.  I think I figured out in this case it's moreso with weaker ammo.  2 range sessions ago, every single last round of a mag was landing on the bill of my hat.  Well, I take that back, one of them actually ejected to the left of the gun and very poorly.  Just the last round of each mag mind you.  The landing on the top of the bill of hat is a concern for me. I wear glasses and hot brass that has the potential to land squarely inbetween my eyeball and glasses and get trapped in there during a shooting would be a bad thing (I don't wear hats ever, except at the range).  Even it bouncing off of them would be a bit of distraction.  I know, seems like a 1 in a million.  But if it's consistently ejecting right toward the face, I don't know.  Maybe likely.  

That said, that was all range ammo that day.  And when I tried carry ammo, it's not as bad.  More like normal ejection and maybe top of the head at times.  Either way, I'm not sure I like that.  And then there is the fact that Glock people just piss me off.  Every thread about BTF that ever comes up on here you get some dudes saying there's no way it's the gun and you're not as big of an operator as them and you don't deserve to shoot such a perfect gun because you're a woman with dainty hands.  No matter how much evidence one is shown that it might very well be the gun.  It is so infuriating I want to take a hammer and smash the thing to pieces.  Now, admittedly, it's a little stupid to let my emotions of how certain people act be attached to the gun, but in the course of my life there has been so much kool aid Glock attitude that it really gets under my skin.   And I'm human and don't always make decision based solely and purely on fact and practicality.  

Smith and Wesson, American made.   I like that.  Part of me doesn't want to support some Austrian rich mogel that can't seem to be bothered with understanding their guns don't work like they used to.  Plus I still have bad feelings with Germans and Nazi's and I don't really know the whole history behind Austria and who did what in the war, but I'm pretty sure some of them were Nazi's.  Whether or not they were conscripted I don't know.  Anyways...  I know crazy talk.  But that's what you get with me.    You asked.  LOL.
View Quote
Hot damn, you hit the nail on the head right there
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a feeling the more I do AIWB, the more I'm going to keep doing it.  I might want to get a tuckable holster though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice to hear this.

If you get the Shield, by some Talon grips. Trust me, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the slipping.  The G26 seems to stay put pretty well without any stuff on it.  When I bought it had the sandpaper talon grips and I didn't mind them.  But in the end they weren't really necessary.  Although in winter and cold, things get a bit more slippy.  The smith's do seem like they might not be as aggressive in texture and could be an issue.  

Are you serious about me hitting the nail on the head?  I think it's all very understandable, but I know some will read my thoughts and go WHAT THE F*&( is with him?  LOL.   I thought YOU would.  LOL.  

Anyways...  3rd day, AIWB, so far so goo.  I tried it with my HiPower this morning though and that's just a no go.  At least with the holster I have.  I can't even sit down without causing pain.  I'm too skinny for that I think.   The J frame is nice there though.   I would imagine a shield would be good that way too, but I'm a little leary of the holstering.  Obviously the first time you put on a striker fired gun you can just leave it in the holster and slip it on the belt.  But from drawing and putting back in a loaded gun.....  Not sure if I can make that leap with a striker fired gun.  Although that can change with time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Since my 642 is stainless...no.

I switched to a g27 after years of various holsters and the 442. I never carried much. But when I went to the g27 I happened upon a Cobra gunskin kydex in the used holster bin. Best combo I ever had and finally started carrying regularly. Now I picked up the shield I'm gonna try a desantis iwb but may pick up another gunskin type if I don't care does it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the slipping.  The G26 seems to stay put pretty well without any stuff on it.  When I bought it had the sandpaper talon grips and I didn't mind them.  But in the end they weren't really necessary.  Although in winter and cold, things get a bit more slippy.  The smith's do seem like they might not be as aggressive in texture and could be an issue.  

Are you serious about me hitting the nail on the head?  I think it's all very understandable, but I know some will read my thoughts and go WHAT THE F*&( is with him?  LOL.   I thought YOU would.  LOL.  

Anyways...  3rd day, AIWB, so far so goo.  I tried it with my HiPower this morning though and that's just a no go.  At least with the holster I have.  I can't even sit down without causing pain.  I'm too skinny for that I think.   The J frame is nice there though.   I would imagine a shield would be good that way too, but I'm a little leary of the holstering.  Obviously the first time you put on a striker fired gun you can just leave it in the holster and slip it on the belt.  But from drawing and putting back in a loaded gun.....  Not sure if I can make that leap with a striker fired gun.  Although that can change with time.
View Quote
I refuse to use the sandpaper variant as it would make me not want to carry or even practice with it, I use the rubber one as it gives me a much more pleasant experience.

The Shield is the only polymer that I own that needs it. The rest are a non issue as far as texturing goes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I use the rubber texture on my Beretta Nano. I like it a lot. It gives the gun enough traction that when I a. Shooting it I am not having to constantly adjust my grip.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:22:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It may be thicker overall, but the rounded shape and the short height (from the top of the frame to the bottom of the grip) make is really easy to conceal for me.  I think I could conceal my J frame AIWB wearing compression fit Under Armor.
View Quote
If I have to run to the store in summer, I can easily carry my wife's airweight in compression shorts and basketball shorts under a tee shirt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top