Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2017 6:18:53 PM EDT
I was at my favorite local gun shop and they were having a sale on all S&W firearms. I'm mainly a Glock man but figured I'd look cause I was stopping by to pick up a gun I had on layaway anyway.

They had S&W 442 and 642s for $309.95 plus tax and S&W shields for $275 after you did a mail in rebate. I was debating about getting a 442 but they were all sold out and I don't care for looks of the 642. Tried the S&W Shield in my hand and was honestly impressed with it. So much so I put it on layway for the sale price.

I've got a Glock 43 but lately I've barely carried it.

I'm planning on picking up an extra magazine and practicing shooting this alot before I messaged with it any.

But eventually I would like to make some changes, specifically putting some different sights on

For $275 out the door don't think I won't not like it. At worse, will be my designated vehicle backup gun
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be all over that deal, the Shield is a great CC gun, uber reliable.

I bought mine for $379 and thought I was getting a deal.

...oh well. ??
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Was thinking about a g43 for an off duty or back up to replace my 27. This sale on the shield ruined that. $150 cheaper than the glock....cant beat that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Got my wife the Shield in 9. It's easy to shoot. Lots of people jumping on the rebate deals. Had to jump on the 45 myself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I've purchased two Glock 43's and two Shield 9's and sold them all, went back to the G26. I couldn't hit shit with the G43 but the shield I found was much easier to shoot. With the deal they had on the Shield's I ordered one last night for $279, that includes the $35 transfer fee I have to pay.

My ex wife has my G19 that I let her keep in the house but I think I am going to take her to the range with the Shield and she can use that since it fits her hand a lot better.

My only issue with the Shield was the round count compared to the G26 but I can live with 7 and 8 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got my wife the Shield in 9. It's easy to shoot. Lots of people jumping on the rebate deals. Had to jump on the 45 myself.
View Quote
They only had the 9mm and 40S&W for the $275. I've got out of 40 altogether, plus might try to get my wife to carry the shield

If they had the 45 I'd have gotten that. Currently my only 45 is my Sig Scorpion 1911 that wasy deployment pistol
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was thinking about a g43 for an off duty or back up to replace my 27. This sale on the shield ruined that. $150 cheaper than the glock....cant beat that.
View Quote
If this deal would have been on when I was looking at buying my Glock 43, I don't think I'd bought the 43. If I like it so much might sell the 43
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Shield and a 43. I slightly prefer the 43 as I can shoot it a little more accurately, but really between the two it comes down purely to personal preference. I think the Glock feels better. The Shield is softer shooting. The new 43s have better triggers out of the box, but the price difference is more than enough to cover an Apex sear which was all it took to make my Shield pretty much perfect. The factory sights on both suck, but at least the Shield sights aren't plastic.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased a 9mm and 45 acp shields.I shot the 45 today, very impressive gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Shield in 9mm is, and has been my EDC for about a year now.

It has never malfunctioned, with any ammo (factory or my handloads) and shoots where I point it.

I practice with at least a couple mags every range trip (about once a week) and about once a month it's the only handgun I shoot at the range and shoot it a lot. I carry 147 grain Fed. HST's in it.

My only gripe is the trigger. It's not horrible, just not as good as my full size M&P's or my buddies 45 Shield (he also has a 9mm shield, and his and mine have identical triggers FWIW). At some point I will put an Apex kit in it.

It's the only "small gun" I own. Everything else I have is full size, so it took a slight amount of getting used to. That said, it's not snappy (at least in 9mm), in fact, I rented a G43, a Ruger LC9s, and a Shield at the local range before I bought the Shield and found the Shield the most pleasing one of the 3 to shoot.

I have plans on buying the 45 Shield ASAP, because I like that one a lot too. And I want all the guns...................except for anything in .40
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I can shoot my Shield 9 faster and better than most of my other guns. It just plain fits the hands (with the larger mag).
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you get one of these for the 7 round magazines.  Really improved my grip/shooting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1EJR8M?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Local shop here has Shields for $319 plus tax and then you can get the rebate.

I bought one in 9mm and one in 45 acp.  Both shoot very smooth and are really accurate.  For the money you can't go wrong.  I actually like the Shield's accuracy and overall feel better than my XDs 9mm.  

Get one at these crazy low prices you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 40 shield.  It's my ccw.  I would like the G43 though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#14]
You can't beat the price on a shield. Period.
I own 2x 9mm shields one for me, one for the GF. We both love them, we put trijicon HD night sights, gor a 4.5lbs trigger job, and I had talon grips put on hers and a stipple job put on mine. 1200 thru each pistol, fed it 5 different types of ammo, 3 low end FMJ range types and 2 types of defense loads.
Had about a 100-200rd break in period. After that I've had no malfunctions, I clean and lube after every shoot, or at least once a week if carrying.

Awesome pistols, the main key is to train with it. Don't shoot 100 rounds down it, give it one good cleaning and call yourself good and proficient with it. You're not, i didn't feel comfortable with it until about 500-600 rounds in.  Now I fell in love.
HOWEVER, on duty I gave a glock 17, and back up glock 26, I will be getting a g43 for off duty because I want to stick to the same platform, glocks have different grip angles and obviously the safety aspect. I've caught myself a few times practicing and the shield was just different enough to trip me up. From what I'm used to from my glocks
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I like mine a lot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnqHQK1_Nmk
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
My Shield is outstanding. It's so much easier to carry and conceal than an M&P9C or Glock19, and just about as accurate/easy to shoot, even with my big hands. I also like the fact that mine has a safety since it sits real close to my body. The factory sights are steel and better than most that come on full size guns, although I wish they were tritium.

My Shield is my ECD for when I go out, but sometimes I just put an LCP in my pocket. I can't go back to carrying a double stack now that I have a Shield. The difference in comfort is quite significant.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]
CCW in our house three of the  9mm for the ladies and two .40S&W for me and the boy.

had them for almost a year now.

thousands of rounds thru them during that time...

goes bang everytime and always on target and fun to shoot.
 son just put a Crimson Trace Laserguard GreenLaser Sight on his, very night great sight

would highly recommend in a purse or Inside the belt or in a suit pocket...it works just fine
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:29:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking hard at them as well, specifically the .40.

I know they don't come with back paddles but is there a way to beef up the thickness?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I am pretty tempted like every one else to bite on a Shield 9mm now.

I've been carrying the Glock 43 for a year and believe I have discovered I can comfortably carry a slightly larger gun than that, provided its a single stack.

That shield might be just the ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top