Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 1:41:41 AM EDT
I've had my M&P 9 for about a year now. I love the ergonomics and the features of the pistol. The pistol is a post 2013 model (better trigger, 2 dot barrel). My biggest complaint is the accuracy. Before you say that it's me, I own and shoot plenty of other handguns (Glocks, HKs, Beretta, Ruger, etc) and this is my worst shooting handgun in regards to accuracy. Even my Shield 9 is more accurate. I know it's a combat handgun, but I'd expect better accuracy. I'm not sure if I should invest in a better barrel and an Apex flat trigger kit or just get an M&P 2.0. I held a 2.0 the other day and while I'm sad they removed the beavertail, the grip texture is absolutely amazing. The trigger isn't that much improved over the M&P that I have. I've heard the accuracy is better in the 2.0 models.

So, should I dump the M&P and go M&P 2.0? Or should I dump some money into the M&P I have and get a better barrel? Do you think it's even worth trying to upgrade?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
throw it down a mine shaft. buy a glock... jk jk ... in all seriousness I've heard that the 2.0s are nice I'd go that route.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:55:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
throw it down a mine shaft. buy a glock... jk jk ... in all seriousness I've heard that the 2.0s are nice I'd go that route.
View Quote

I own a 19 and 22. I carry a 17 on duty. I can tear up the bullseye and 10 ring with them at 15 yards. With the M&P9, it seriously spreads the fuck out. I'm seriously considering the 2.0 and hopefully they aren't suffering from accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If your going to unload it do it quick. Prices on the original generation are probably going to drop if I had to guess.

Of course you could just do the classic get both and do a side by side comparison.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:01:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Apex trigger kit shrunk my groups for sure. Having a better trigger helps with accuracy no doubt about it. The stock trigger was kind of crappy in my opinion. I've also heard the barrels aren't the best either, but I'm happy enough with my stock barrel. I'm sure a match grade barrel would also help to increase accuracy as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
good guns. the glock bit was a joke. I've never been super fond of M&Ps myself. But I've heard that the 2.0s are nice. I haven't held one but that's what I've heard. I'd probably rent one at a range before I bought one. trade the one you have now for it
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Apex trigger kit shrunk my groups for sure. Having a better trigger helps with accuracy no doubt about it. The stock trigger was kind of crappy in my opinion. I've also heard the barrels aren't the best either, but I'm happy enough with my stock barrel. I'm sure a match grade barrel would also help to increase accuracy as well.
View Quote

I've read that stock barrels can be hit or miss, and mine is "miss" (definitely pun intended).
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#7]
buy a Bar sto barrel for it
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
buy a Bar sto barrel for it
View Quote

I did that for mine, locked up tighter, which helped a little, but it would still throw fliers, even resting it on a bench.  It's not me, I shoot an identical M&P40 like a laser.
I got tired of being embarrassed at the steel tree so I sent the gun back to S&W to let them figure it out and bought a new 5" 2.0 and did a little trigger work.  It's much better...
First four groups from the gun, starting at the bottom.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I did that for mine, locked up tighter, which helped a little, but it would still throw fliers, even resting it on a bench.  It's not me, I shoot an identical M&P40 like a laser.
I got tired of being embarrassed at the steel tree so I sent the gun back to S&W to let them figure it out and bought a new 5" 2.0 and did a little trigger work.  It's much better...
First four groups from the gun, starting at the bottom.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20170203_123015260.jpg
View Quote

That's great news. Let's hope that S&W has gotten their shit together regarding the M&P 9 barrels in all the 2.0s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I decided to go ahead and preorder a Blacklist M&P 9 threaded barrel. I've read good reviews on their barrels. I like my M&P too much to give up on it. The only downside is that they aren't shipping until April.   When the funds allow, I'm going to get the Apex flat trigger kit for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've read that stock barrels can be hit or miss, and mine is "miss" ...snip..
View Quote

I can attest to this for sure. I have a 9, 9c and 45c, all shoot very well. The 9c is actually a freak with a stock bbl, one ragged hole if I am on my game. I have a friend who bought a 9 and just could not get it to shoot well. He tried my upper and group size came right down, then tried just my bbl, same thing.
I just sold him an Apex flat bow trigger that came on another 9c I picked up, did not like that forward position of it. I prefer the sear/plunger mod that I have in my other 3, all done by ATEi, they are local to me so it is a no brainer.
I also have Storm Lake threaded bbl for my 9 and it is similar accuracy to the stock one, no improvement.

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I just hope this new barrel does the trick. I've read good reviews on Blacklist barrels. Shitty thing is, I won't get it until April.

Quoted:

I can attest to this for sure. I have a 9, 9c and 45c, all shoot very well. The 9c is actually a freak with a stock bbl, one ragged hole if I am on my game. I have a friend who bought a 9 and just could not get it to shoot well. He tried my upper and group size came right down, then tried just my bbl, same thing.
I just sold him an Apex flat bow trigger that came on another 9c I picked up, did not like that forward position of it. I prefer the sear/plunger mod that I have in my other 3, all done by ATEi, they are local to me so it is a no brainer.
I also have Storm Lake threaded bbl for my 9 and it is similar accuracy to the stock one, no improvement.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Handguns/SW/IMG_0146_zpse1da8900.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I am getting a two year old M&P9 in trade today, I sold off my M&P .40 because of the accuracy issue... no matter what I did or who shot it.. it was all over the place. I'm hoping to have better luck with this 9mm... I am getting it cheap enough , maybe the trigger upgrades and a barrel will help. I love the way the M&P looks and feels in my hand... I'm giving it another shot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I swapped the medium grip insert from my 2.0 into my 1.0, it felt all slippery after shooting the 2.0 for a while...
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am getting a two year old M&P9 in trade today, I sold off my M&P .40 because of the accuracy issue... no matter what I did or who shot it.. it was all over the place. I'm hoping to have better luck with this 9mm... I am getting it cheap enough , maybe the trigger upgrades and a barrel will help. I love the way the M&P looks and feels in my hand... I'm giving it another shot.
View Quote

Hopefully it works out for you. I know most of the accuracy issues were solved, but I guess I wasn't so lucky. I'll report back on the Blacklist barrel in April.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I swapped the medium grip insert from my 2.0 into my 1.0, it felt all slippery after shooting the 2.0 for a while...
View Quote

That's great that they are compatible, so it looks like I'll have to order me a small 2.0 backstrap. The grip texture on the 2.0 I held was amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top