Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2017 12:55:09 PM EDT
I was given 2 older S&W revolvers. Can anyone help me identify the model numbers?

First is a .22 LR. It has 2 different numbers on it.

On the frame under the cylinder is a 12xxx number and under the barrel and on the back of the cylinder is a 26xxx number.

Pictures-

Second is a 38 Spl with a serial number 62xxx

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
First off for future reference the best reliable serial number for all smith revolvers is on the bottom of the butt
On all smith revolvers they will have what are called assembly numbers on the yoke cut yoke itself and sometimes the grip frame under the grips which was to keep fitted parts together during production- this number bears no relation to the serial number and are ignored for identification purposes.
Next guns made after 1957 will have the model number inside the yoke cut easily identified by the letters MOD before a number such as MOD 10-5.
Guns made prior to 1957 often had the serial number of the gun additionally stamped on things like the underside of the barrel underside of the extractor back side of the cylinder and sometimes inside the side plate. As any of these can be replaced they should NEVER be considered a substitute for the serial number on the bottom of the butt.
Many but not all guns made after the early 1970's also and serial numbers in the yoke cut but based on the above info I and any attentive s&W person will always look at the butt serial number as the correct one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I suspect there is no MOD  number on either of these?
The .22 is a 22/32 kit gun ( what would later become the model 34 after '57) the diamond around the grip screw and flat cylinder latch gives this away as does the same on the .38
The 38 if steel framed is a chiefs special ( after '57 a model 36) or if alloy framed chiefs special airweight (after '57 model 37)
I like them both and have been looking for a 2" kit gun /model 34 to buy for some time
Depending on serial number they could be 60+ years old.
Give serial numbers from the butt between the bottom of the grips for more info
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suspect there is no MOD  number on either of these?
The .22 is a 22/32 kit gun ( what would later become the model 34 after '57) the diamond around the grip screw and flat cylinder latch gives this away as does the same on the .38
The 38 if steel framed is a chiefs special ( after '57 a model 36) or if alloy framed chiefs special airweight (after '57 model 37)
I like them both and have been looking for a 2" kit gun /model 34 to buy for some time
Depending on serial number they could be 60+ years old.
Give serial numbers from the butt between the bottom of the grips for more info
View Quote

Correct there are no Mod numbers.

Grip number for 22 is- 26xxx

Grip number for 38 is- 122xxx
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Top gun is either a model 34 or a pre 34 "Kit Gun"

Second gun (assuming a steel frame) is a model 36 or pre model 36 "Chief's Special"

Two nice J frames, congrats.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
As I said your serial number report validates these are a pre model number 22/32 kit gun and pre model number chiefs special. I blew up the pics and your barrel on the 38 does not say airweight so it is the steel chiefs
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]
SCSW seems to indicate that, if both are pre-Model Number guns, your .22 was made in 1955-57 and your .38 was made in 1957. Very nice revolvers!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top