Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2017 9:36:25 AM EDT
so I'm filling my .40 void with a S&W M&P .40 full size... it is used but looks to be in great condition, has night sights, comes with the original case but only one magazine. this was not a police trade in, it was purchased new from this dealer a few months ago... so for $395 so I put it on layaway till next payday...
I decided on the M&P .40 after holding and shooting a few other pistols.  it really shot great and feels at home in my hand... the trigger wasnt too bad...
which leads to my questions... this is going to be just a range gun for now, possible addtion to my SHTF rig in the near future...
which trigger upgrade? I know there are a few out there, I'm not shooting competition
where do I find inexpensive reliable factory or compatable magazines?
also a decent non serpa holster for belt mount...no drop leg stuff I may mount a TLR-1 on this pistol
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Great gun.

But for me I'd rather have it chambered in 9mm.

JMO
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#2]
M&P40 is awesome. Congrats.

Look at the Safariland ALS concealment holster. They are less than $50 and are the best in the business for normal use. Extra mags are everywhere, but 44 mag or CDNN would be good places to start.

I really don't have any complaints with the stock trigger but many folks to with Apex Tactical trigger upgrades.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
First handgun I ever bought was the M&P 40. To this day it's the only handgun I've ever sold. Just couldn't make myself like the 40.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Now is the time to buy a .40.  I picked up a police trade in myself, despite swearing off the caliber 14 years ago. With the herds all rushing to 9mm there are great deals to be had.

Apex is the place for all aftermarket parts.

There are no aftermarket mags that are reliable enough to carry. You'll just have to watch for deals on factory mags.

For holsters Safariland is king IMO but there are about 2.5 million kydex makers to choose from also.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the input guys...I have multiple Sigs, and Beretta's in 9mm... I have been thinking about a police trade-in Sig in .40, but after shooting the M&P I was kinda impressed. I have a few thousand rounds of .40 and I kinda like having a .40 as my backup goto gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
OK picked up my M&P .40 today..I was surprised to see 3 mags in the case
few questions... the mags do NOT drop free...is this an easy fix?
also not being familiar with this gun...is the fact I cannot dry fire unless a mag is in the gun a built in safety feature?

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Lock the slide back as if the gun just fired it's last shot. The magazine should always fall free.

Some firearms come with a magazine safety, Browning Hi-Powers, Beretta M84/M81 etc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
yeh they drop a bit then hang up , I have to pull them just a bit for them to fall free...this is with all 3 of them. I did clean the entire pistol completely , including the mag well..it helped a bit...

ETA:  I just went through the whole magwell with 600 grit paper.. the empty mags drop free , but when loaded they still hang up after getting released.  I'm gonna take it to the range tomorrow and run the heck out of it..
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like it has a magazine disconnect, speed shooter specialties sells a spring to remove it.

Mags should drop free. Pull the mag release out and clean it. You may want to replace it if it continues
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like it has a magazine disconnect, speed shooter specialties sells a spring to remove it.

Mags should drop free. Pull the mag release out and clean it. You may want to replace it if it continues
View Quote

This.
Apex FSS with a flat trigger is the ultimate trigger mod, IMO.

Their other kits are probably ok too.

Keep an eye out for LE trade in mags, they show up every now and then $13ish.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice, good pickup.

Don't pay any attention to those that hate on .40s.
Everyone has their own tastes in calibers.

All I have is M&P's in the .40 flavor.

Check out Apex for some nice M&P upgrades.
I would recommend the Apex duty upgrades, huge difference with the upgrades.

Also check out stippling on the frame.
I took the plunge and stippled my own with a wood burning kit, very easy to do and also a nice upgrade to help when it's raining, sweaty palms, etc.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Buds has the same gun with three mags and night sights marked Detroit PD for $319 shipped last I checked.  Supposedly the ones they have been shipping are unissued models
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buds has the same gun with three mags and night sights marked Detroit PD for $319 shipped last I checked.  Supposedly the ones they have been shipping are unissued models
View Quote

I got one of these right before the election and mine had been issued. It was in good shape. Older model/ 2009 ish
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine has been great and I hope yours is too.

Good service pistol accuracy and it's been 100% reliable with FMJ, HST, Ranger T, and Ranger Bonded.

I shoot 180 or 165 grain but prefer 180 for defense loads.

I bought it in early 08 so it likely been made in 07.

It's a soft shooting pistol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#15]
If it doesn't have a warning on the right side that says "caution - capable of firing with magazine removed", then it is a magazine-disconnect model.  That's probably what's holding your mags in place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top