Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2016 2:05:22 PM EDT
I know you can get the pack for under $20.

Id like to lighten the trigger a tad, but is a 1# reduction worth the trouble of installation and the $20?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
yes

if you know how to detail strip a 686

jerry miculek makes a good S&W tune up video

the spring kit, combined with polishing the
correct surfaces makes it smoother than a colt python

tread lightly
the guts of a S&W are like a swiss watch
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a Wilson Combat spring kit on my S&W 629. it was easy to put in, I used the #13 return spring.
I did not go further and polish any internals, believe me I would screw it up. Double action is much
improved and measured single action break is slightly less than #3. Don`t know that I have ever had
a better revolver.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There is some risk to messing things up if you go at the sear surfaces themselves. There is however lots of things that slide and rub that can be smoothed up while you have things apart that will be real good for the gun.

If the gun is ever going to be used for hunting or self defense try a bunch of different ammo to make sure it is 100% reliable. Different brands of primers will react differently because some are harder than others.

I feel that revolver shooting is all about the trigger. S&W triggers are usually fairly decent but just a bit lighter and a bit smoother ad you really have something going

Take your time but just do it.

I have shot Pythons but the Colt stacks up and breaks different than a S&W , I will take my slicked up 686 over any Colt . Yeah I know the Colt guys are grinding their teeth over that statement but that is where I am at!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like the Wolff "Power Rib" mainsprings. Tolerances can place the tip of the strain screw in the rib recess and lead to a very light pull that won't set off many brands of primers. I much prefer a Miculek style spring (I bend my own). I also like a 14 pound rebound spring. A setup like this can be 100% reliable and a huge improvement over the factory pull.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Well worth it if you Know What you are doing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#6]
thx for the all the replies.

ill order the Miculek kit
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yes

if you know how to detail strip a 686

jerry miculek makes a good S&W tune up video

the spring kit, combined with polishing the
correct surfaces makes it smoother than a colt python

tread lightly
the guts of a S&W are like a swiss watch
View Quote

I did this on my 686. The difference is amazing.
It's not hard to do and you don't need to mess with the sear surfaces or anything, just polish up the sides of critical parts and adjust the spring weight to be reliable and as light as you want it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Install the reduced power mainspring and leave everything else alone.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE SURFACES OF THE HAMMER OR SEAR!
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I put them in about a dozen K Frames over the years.  Always an improvement.  While you are in there, clean and properly lube everything.  Look for any burs and clean them up.  No need to "polish" anything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I put them in about a dozen K Frames over the years.  Always an improvement.  While you are in there, clean and properly lube everything.  Look for any burs and clean them up.  No need to "polish" anything.
View Quote

will do thx
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure you know how to PROPERLY remove the screws to take off the side plate or you can ruin your revolver....
Good luck
Quoted:

will do thx
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

will do thx

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Make sure you know how to PROPERLY remove the screws to take off the side plate or you can ruin your revolver....

Good luck

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good luck

Quoted:

Quoted:

will do thx

where does one find this info

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Double tap
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]
S&W Revolver Shop Manual by Jerry Kunhausen, everything you need to know.

This book
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Good luck
Quoted:
Quoted:

will do thx

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top