Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2016 1:08:44 PM EDT
Good friend of mine has bought his first M&P and is wondering if a thumb safety can be added after-the fact.
I assume that just about anything is possible with the right gunsmith, so question:

Aside from buying new parts, are there any differences in the frame of the M&P's that have a thumb safety vs the ones that don't?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Have him contact S&W. I am not sure if they sell the parts needed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
"New" or new to him?

If it's a newer one, yes.  Get the parts from speed shooter specialties, S&W won't sell them anymore.

If it's an older model with the frame cutouts he'll need a sear housing block + safety parts.

If it's an old one without the frame cutouts, no.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
New one yes, it takes about 15 min. if that.  I have a 9 FS and compact and have gone back and forth many times.  Old one maybe.

Speedshooter supplies has all the parts needed to convert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top