Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2016 10:00:03 AM EDT
Just purchased a shield 9 and hit the range with it, at 3 yards I noticed my target was peppered with shards the same width as the rifling  it was however accurate, inspected the barrel and found the crown was poorly finished (almost no crown) and rifling flat in some spots. Anyone have a similar issue? Left it at the LGS and had them ship it back, kind PO'd at having to send a new gun back.. Btw ammo was 124 blazer and 115 Sellier both brass cased.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have tested it at 25 yards- if it groups inside 4 inches at that range I wouldn't bother sending it back. 3 yards doesn't give any useful accuracy data at all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would have tested it at 25 yards- if it groups inside 4 inches at that range I wouldn't bother sending it back. 3 yards doesn't give any useful accuracy data at all.
View Quote

It's not about accuracy, my concern is the barrel crown looking like it was hit with a file after 10 rounds and the obvious shredding of the bullet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Got the gun back from smith, barrel was replaced but replacement still has chips on the muzzle. Email sent with pictures back to smith

The chips are clearly felt when you run your finger nails on it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
looks pretty rough. Having the crown touched up might be cheaper than a trip back to SW
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it me or is S&W QC getting worse?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Seeing this got me curious as to the Shield I bought used a couple weeks ago.

No chips in rifiling. Not much of a crown, but no chips. It's been fired, but not by me yet.

Box says was manufactured Jan 2016 (I'm guessing by the 012016 on the label).

I saw somewhere where the Shield is the most popular pistol in the country right now. Looks like they're pumping them out as fast as they can.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Either the steel is too brittle or they need to change out their tooling, I would guess.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Just compared it to my buddies shield which was purchased last year and his rifling/ crown looks brand new after 3k compared to mine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a one sentence response from S&W saying 'that's what all barrels look like'. Took it to the range and low and behold those burrs/chips are shredding the plating on the bullets.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Better pictures

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks a little like my shield performance center crown. Shooting Freedom Munitions 124 plated lead I get lead pieces sticking to the end of the barrel. Haven't shot it close enough to a target yet to see if I'm getting the fragments like you are.

**Edit here are pictures after shooting about 100 rounds.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Update* SW finally sent me back the gun with a new barrel. Shoots perfect now.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#13]
That is good info, I'm going to be looking at 9mm Shields any day now and will be paying extra attention
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top