Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2016 7:41:50 PM EDT
i really love the m and p line up. I have a variety of handguns but almost always end up shooting my full size m and p with apex dcaek kit with polymer trigger. I had a 9c in the same configuration but sold it to get the slimmer shiel with apex trigger. My first impression with shield is I hate it. Whenever I switched from my full size to the 9c I Had the same accuracy and recoil was almost the same. Did anybody else go through this, do I need to shoot more than 100 reds heough it. Just debating on going back to the compact and selling the shield.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
We have both and M &P compact 9 and shield in 9mm. It takes some getting used to (the shield), but really like it a lot after getting used to it

Wife unit carries shield as daily driver
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Never wanting a shield after comparing a M&Pc and Shield side by side. Not worth the 1/4 inch in width and losing round capacity.  Besides I can't use my full size M&P mags in an emergency.

If you want smaller 9mm look at a Kahr CM9. At least it's smaller and still has 6-7 rounds.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
With the pinky extension, the M&P Compact shoots almost as easily as a full size handgun as the grip is dimensionally similar except for the length. Conversely, the Shield is much smaller preventing a solid handgun grip, so recoil and trigger control suffer.

The Compact is a much better shooter that the Shield simply cannot match, so I'd recommend sticking with the Compact if you can carry it. The Shield is a compromise gun by design--don't compromise if you don't have to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never wanting a shield after comparing a M&Pc and Shield side by side. Not worth the 1/4 inch in width and losing round capacity.  Besides I can't use my full size M&P mags in an emergency.

If you want smaller 9mm look at a Kahr CM9. At least it's smaller and still has 6-7 rounds.

View Quote

Or the Ruger LC9S pro. Very slim design with rounded edges and 4.5 pound factory trigger.  This is what I have.

I also have the Compact 9mm and really like it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Got my wife a shield and have shot it quite a bit.  Accurate and dependable.  

When I wanted a higher capacity carry piece than the LCR I usually carry, I compared the 9c and her shield.  Went with the 9c for the quoted reasons and I have large hands so the slightly wider 9c filled my hands much better.  

The thickness doesn't seem like an issue and with the extended basepads on both, the 9c is (I believe) a little shorter and more comfortable for me IWB Appendix.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Since switching to appendix I really don't need a single stack but I say both is the answer. I keep one around and occasionally carry it but it's not necessary.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With the pinky extension, the M&P Compact shoots almost as easily as a full size handgun as the grip is dimensionally similar except for the length. Conversely, the Shield is much smaller preventing a solid handgun grip, so recoil and trigger control suffer.

The Compact is a much better shooter that the Shield simply cannot match, so I'd recommend sticking with the Compact if you can carry it. The Shield is a compromise gun by design--don't compromise if you don't have to.
View Quote

This.

I'll shoot my 40c sometimes at our local bowling pin match on Monday nights. At 7 yards, I don't feel like I'm handicapped vs. my other full size guns at all.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top