Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2016 6:32:58 AM EDT
Was thinking about purchasing a shield in 40. I know the arguments for 9mm but I get .40 issued through my dept.

So I was wondering if anyone has put a reasonable amount of rounds through their shield in .40? If so, any issues?

Iv'e tried looking through other sources and the highest round count I could find was 1020 or so for the .40 cal. Im trying to get a decent sample size of people here so I will know what to expect if I end up purchasing it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Was curious about this too, it's an awfully small gun for a bigger round.  When I was shopping I almost bought the .40, but decided the 9mm instead form some of the similar reasons.

I have been really happy with the 9mm and think it was the right choice in the end.

Hopefully someone chimes in soon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I also have the 9mm Shield and I am very happy with it.  I've been thinking about getting the. 40 S&W version also, primarily because I have a M&P 40 Compact and the Shield in the same chambering seems like a good companion for it.  The LE price on the 9/40 Shields is only $319, so it seems like I could easily make my money back if I hate it.

That said, the 9mm Shield with  (+P) and (+P+)  ammo is already pretty snappy, I suspect the. 40 version is more of a handful.  On the other hand the 9mm with standard pressure ammo, especially the 147 grain subsonic is a pussycat.  I'll probably get the .40 eventually, but so many guns, so little money.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Has    anyone   tried  out the  45 Shield  yet??  how   does  that  compare?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both a 9mm and .40 Shield.  I use the .40 for backpacking.  It's actually pretty decent and I even put a few magazines of 200gr +P Hard Cast rounds through it with no issues, other than some stout recoil.  I wouldn't want to feed it a steady diet of +P or the heavy-grain loads, but if you stick under 165gr, you can shoot extended range sessions without any issues.  The extended magazines help with a full grip on the stouter loads, but I find the Shield a pretty comfortable grip size for a sub-compact pistol.  I probably have a few hundred rounds through my .40 Shield with zero issues.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased mine as my backup when they first came out mostly due to being issued 40 including practice ammo. Much like its big brother it's well designed for the 40 without any nasty snappiness and has been 100% reliable. I wouldn't mind extended range sessions with it and while I can't give you a specific round count, I put atleast 500 through it when I got it and then put a few boxes through every once in a while so I don't doubt it will go on for quite some time without issue. I have been considering a pps gen 1 in 40 as the paddle mag release might be better for pocket carry than a button but it's the only issue I can think of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top