Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 9:31:31 PM EDT
I was thinking of buying an M&P 9 C. Is the trigger really as bad as I hear?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I actually like M&P triggers. Love the size of the 9c as well. One of my favorite guns.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
9C is great. Get snaps caps and dry fire. Trigger to was not as bad as everyone makes out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I had issues with mine.  Not sure if I just got a bad one from the factory....but I went ahead and put an Apex Duty Carry kit in.  One of my favourite pistols now.  Great shooter.

Heck, the cost of the Apex in addition to the 9c was basically the same price as the Glock I was deciding between.  And I would have probably had to replace that damn thing too.

I've seen several stock triggers since I bought mine that were pretty good.  I'd tell you it's well worth the gamble
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you buy the newest production possible. My new ones I bought don't even feel like they 'need' apex parts. It really does not pay to buy used old production. S&W changed about everything in these guns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I installed the $25 Apex spring kit and polished the striker block. Trigger's great.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe early ones. I own a few M&P and have yet to find one with a really bad trigger.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
They are fine

Google " burwell trigger job pdf "

They're really easy to smooth up

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
My advice is to dry fire it before buying.  Supposedly the newer M&P's don't have the same issues but I've heard folks who bought recent ones say the problem still exists so best bet is to just test it before buying if possible.  I will say that overall, the way the M&P's feel, regardless of model, is really good.  I wouldn't have gone through the hassle of having to replace brand new parts on a gun if I didn't really like it.  

My M&P40 full size was built in 2012 and had a trigger so bad I shelved it until I could afford an Apex DCAEK to fix the problem.  Without the Apex the trigger was so crunchy it was shooting shotgun patterns, with the Apex the crunch is gone and it's like a whole new gun.  I'm not loving the actual trigger design because if my finger doesn't get low enough on the trigger it starts to feel odd and sometimes won't engage the safety enough to fire.  I'll be looking into an Apex trigger to see if that helps.  I'll probably make a post asking folks about their experiences.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
New M&P's basically have the old Pro-Sear, which is eerily similar to Apex.

One thing that apex includes in their spring kit or the DCAEK kit is a slightly heavier trigger spring- this "smooths" the trigger out because it lessens the chance that the trigger safety will hit the frame, and cause a slight snag in your pull- if you keep your finger high up on the trigger, you'll experience this.

Otherwise the new triggers aren't half bad.  If you have an absurd amount of over travel, you can clean that up by slightly closing the trigger bar loop at the TAIL end.  

The Apex USB is also worth its weight in gold.  You can accomplish most of the benefit by highly polishing the factory one, but the Apex kit comes with a lighter spring, is polished, and rounded.  It really really cleans up the pre travel and allows you to get right to the important part, where the sear drops the striker.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
This really helped mine: http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

With that said, I went to Glock. I was recently issued a G22.4 and having put some trigger time with one, I was sold. I sold both my M&P9c for a G19.4 and my M&P9 for a G17.4.

The M&P is a fine weapon. I just prefer Glock more; better reset, better trigger out of the box, and a it just feels more solid. Of course, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#11]
No, but the Apex sear and USB kit makes the trigger so much better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:34:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe early ones. I own a few M&P and have yet to find one with a really bad trigger.
View Quote

My early model 9c has a super smooth and light trigger with no grit while my new 9 FS feels like I am crushing rocks in a prison yard.

Once you get about 500 rounds through an m&p the trigger will be noticeably more smooth. I don't even know how many thousands of rounds I have on the 9c but its a bunch and the trigger is pretty good now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This really helped mine: http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

With that said, I went to Glock. I was recently issued a G22.4 and having put some trigger time with one, I was sold. I sold both my M&P9c for a G19.4 and my M&P9 for a G17.4.

The M&P is a fine weapon. I just prefer Glock more; better reset, better trigger out of the box, and a it just feels more solid. Of course, YMMV.
View Quote

I just got a new Glock 19.4 and the trigger is more smooth with less grit than my M&P but its far from a good trigger.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I did a complete trigger job on my FS .45, about $200 worth. Included forward set sear and aluminum trigger.

I wish I hadn't. It's different, but my trigger pull gauge doesn't show a big reduction. What I did get was an
occasional dead trigger, which I never heard of before having the job done.  My FS 9mm and compact 9mm
both have factory triggers and that won't change.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an early full size M&P 9.  I've never understood all the blathering about M&P triggers. They work.  Faint reset?  I don't notice it.  Gritty?  Mine doesn't seem to be.  Heavy?  No worse than a Glock (and yes I own Glocks as well).

The M&P is a reasonably priced service pistol.  If you want 3.5 glass rod trigger get your check book out and start shopping for a custom 1911.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Since the Apex triggers were mentioned a few times, I thought that I would also ask a question. Please forgive me if I am in the wrong place. I went on Apex Tactical website. I found several options. I am new to upgrading things (I am just now looking at changing my AR trigger as well). Which option would be best for the FS M&P9? What should I look for?

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since the Apex triggers were mentioned a few times, I thought that I would also ask a question. Please forgive me if I am in the wrong place. I went on Apex Tactical website. I found several options. I am new to upgrading things (I am just now looking at changing my AR trigger as well). Which option would be best for the FS M&P9? What should I look for?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to decide what aspect of the trigger you're looking to improve. "Best" is very subjective, particularly in striker fired guns
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You need to decide what aspect of the trigger you're looking to improve. "Best" is very subjective, particularly in striker fired guns
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I forgot that "best" is subjective. I guess I am not sure what the # pull is on a normal striker, but something that doesn't have the grit feel and is crisp and clean pull. But I want to be cautious that it isn't so light that accidently bumping it into a wall while I am carrying would allow it to discharge. I just wasn't sure what to even look for to begin with.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Also, what is the difference between the aluminum, polymer and the sear versions? For a newbie this would be a great source of info!
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#20]
The Apex USB will clean up the gritty feeling, but shooting it will also.

The Hard Sear will reduce the trigger pull weight. Almost too much in my opinion. I added the heavy trigger return spring to bring the weight back up and give the trigger more of a rolling feeling.

Aluminum & polymer refers to the material of the trigger shoe.

In my experience the folks at Apex are very nice. You can always call them if you have questions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't mind the pull of the trigger, or the break or the reset

For me, I hated the shape of the trigger

The harsh curve didn't feel right to me.

Replaced just the trigger itself in my shield and full size

Felt much better for me with the flatter surface

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Great! The gritty feeling is not fun. I may give them a call and talk with them. thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
So I can put an apex set up with a different trigger? I have only used a curved trigger. Is the flat a better option for any reason? I have never held one before.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#24]
There is an Apex sale at Brownells today if you are looking for an upgrade
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I can put an apex set up with a different trigger? I have only used a curved trigger. Is the flat a better option for any reason? I have never held one before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't like the curve of the s&w factory trigger
So I replaced it with an apex trigger, but just the trigger, none of the internals.
It was only about $30 for the polymer one that fit most mp models.
The shield version was only offered in aluminum and was a bit more at $75ish
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome! I have a lot of great info to start looking! Thank you all for letting me ask the questions. I appreciate your patience with these basics of questions.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Awesome! I have a lot of great info to start looking! Thank you all for letting me ask the questions. I appreciate your patience with these basics of questions.
View Quote

I say go for it.

If you have shot and like a 1911 trigger, you will really like the Apex full kit.

I can tell, in theses types of threads, who has shot any firearm that had a really good trigger.

A 1911 has taught me more about trigger control/discipline than other other.
I used to be content with 90% of OEMs triggers, not just pistols, but rifles too. Not anymore.

In MY opinion, it is utter crap, I mean like rubbing to rocks together crappy.

The Apex is still NOT exactly like a 1911, but it will work.

I say if you do it, just get the entire kit.

As for the trigger choice, Thier curved is the ones I got...for both M&Ps. BUT, If I go ahead and find a good deal on an FDE compact, I will put one f the flat american flag ones....just becasue they dont have a flagged curved one.

The entire package well worth it,  Apex knows exactly what needs to be done for us 1911 snobs  
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#28]
The M&P I owned 4 or so years ago did not have a good trigger. Mushy and indistinct break and not a very quick or distinct reset. I would call it sloppy.

The M&P I bought 6 months ago has a much better trigger. Both of the issues I had with my previous model were much improved upon. I wouldn't call it a great trigger but it is usuable. I bought it with the intention of Apexing it and making it my project gun but haven't bothered yet. It can be improved upon, like most factory striker triggers but it is definitely not as bad as it used to be and certainly not the horrendous piece of trash the internet makes it out to be.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If you have shot and like a 1911 trigger, you will really like the Apex full kit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry everyone for the delay in responding...I was out of town and could only check in briefly. I have never owned a 1911, nor have I have fired one. I did dry fire a Armscor that had some trigger work by a guy near where I live. But the experience of shooting one is still not accomplished...yet. My muscle memory for the M&P is different. I would not be used to the safety. But I am not saying I would learn if I had the opportunity .

As far as trigger goes, I probably will look at getting the whole set. The only trigger system that I have ever used was the OEM ones. I am ready to move up now. The only thing now needed....$$$$$$!

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The M&P I owned 4 or so years ago did not have a good trigger. Mushy and indistinct break and not a very quick or distinct reset. I would call it sloppy.

The M&P I bought 6 months ago has a much better trigger. Both of the issues I had with my previous model were much improved upon. I wouldn't call it a great trigger but it is usuable. I bought it with the intention of Apexing it and making it my project gun but haven't bothered yet. It can be improved upon, like most factory striker triggers but it is definitely not as bad as it used to be and certainly not the horrendous piece of trash the internet makes it out to be.
View Quote

I used to own a Sig P250 (Sub compact I believe). The trigger pull on that was a beast! Being new to the handgun market at that time, I was unfamiliar with gun control (the good kind that is! ). When I moved where I am, it is all open carry. So full size fits my needs best now. I went to the M&P because of the lighter trigger.

I am not sure if that was a good trade or not, but so far I have been pleased.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1. This what I did on my M&P45 as well. I didn't like the actual shape and feel of the stock trigger. The APEX poly trigger works very well for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:10:28 AM EDT
[#32]
my m7p 9 that was produced in June 2016 has a pretty shitty trigger.  Not smooth.  Almost feels like it's riding on bumps when you pull the trigger.  Break is clean most of the time.  If I pull the trigger slow enough, just right, I can get a false break and it wont dry fire.  Only have about 175 rounds through it so far.  

But just bc it's shitty, doesn't mean it's unusable. It works.  Just not refined.  Good enough for SD and combat IMO.

I do have an Apex kit coming in, bc well, I do like nice things too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:05:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I just had a CORE shipped in and the trigger is awful.  The take up is SUPER 'gritty' and the break is heavier than any of the M&P's I dry fired before buying. I am also very unhappy with the slide fit to the polymer lower.  There is 0.048" lateral slop where the slide can be moved side to side at the muzzle end.  I measured a Springfield XD and a Glock 19 in the same area, the fit between lower and slide.  They came in at 0.023" and 0.019" respectively.  Anyone else had this problem?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top