Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2016 4:44:23 PM EDT
I always clean my guns after each range trip. Well, last time, I decided to break my M&P 9 full size down and really give it a good scrubbing. This included taking apart the striker mechanism.

Fast forward to today... I get to the range, load 3 rounds into the mag. Insert the mag into the gun, hit the slide stop and... FTF JAM! WTH? This gun NEVER jams. Drop the mag, get the round, put it back into the mag, drop the slide. This time the round chambers and the gun fires but BAM! Another freaking FTF jam! Try a different mag, same result. Try my mag in my 9c, they work fine. Ok, its not the mag... WTH!?!?! Take off the slide and I see the firing pin sticking out!  The firing pin was stuck in a "fire" position. Honestly, I could not believe this thing didn't go full auto on me. Start playing with it and figure out that the firing pin would retract but once you fire, it would stick out and jam up the round when it was trying to chamber.

Of course I dont have any tools with me so back home I go to troubleshoot it. Took it apart and immediately saw the issue. Apparently, I put the little firing pin spring retainer on backwards! Because it had pre-tentioned the spring, it allowed the mechanism to get jammed up. Oh well, its working now. Still, totally wasted range trip. I guess Ill just have to try again tomorrow. This time, I'm bringing some tools.

Feel free to flame away.

V
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You just learned something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, glad it was a learning experience and not a tragic one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I sure did. I'm glad I got to test it out before carrying it.

V
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Always bring more than one gun to the range in case crap like this happens to one of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top