Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2016 8:30:52 AM EDT
I just noticed the rear sight on my Shield is offset to the right. I haven't shot it yet but can tell it will impact accuracy because of how much it is pushed to the right. The manual clearly states the rear sight is not adjustable, yet it looks like it uses an Allen screw to hold it in place. I'm thinking the manual is outdated? I can adjust the rear sight by loosening up the allen screw, right?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just noticed the rear sight on my Shield is offset to the right. I haven't shot it yet but can tell it will impact accuracy because of how much it is pushed to the right. The manual clearly states the rear sight is not adjustable, yet it looks like it uses an Allen screw to hold it in place. I'm thinking the manual is outdated? I can adjust the rear sight by loosening up the allen screw, right?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

And putting great force on it with a hammer and punch (brass or nylon tipped) or a sight pusher.  I have removed M&P rear sights on a Shield, FS 9mm, and 45C.  They were all VERY tight.  I used a sight pusher.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And putting great force on it with a hammer and punch (brass or nylon tipped) or a sight pusher.  I have removed M&P rear sights on a Shield, FS 9mm, and 45C.  They were all VERY tight.  I used a sight pusher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Weird. Mine weren't bad at all. I used a plastic punch and it didn't even deform the plastic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Weird. Mine weren't bad at all. I used a plastic punch and it didn't even deform the plastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

All three of mine are early release versions, I dont know if that has anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Are there different versions? How can I tell which version I have?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually  the rear sight on a Shield should be centered and actual Sight adjustments should be done with the front sight.
The allen screw is to lock removable rear Sight on. You have to be able to remove the rear sight to get to the striker block.

The width of the slide is why the front sight is adjusted. The slide is narrow and the rear Sight doesn't have much room to adjust.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I would take it out and shoot it before I messed with the sights.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I plan to shoot it first but it is sticking out over the slide about 1/16" and not even close to being aligned
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#9]
That sounds pretty bad. I would call Smith and Wesson and get them to fix it. They should have done it right in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Just loosen the screw and tap it over using a plastic or brass punch.  You didn't need to send it back to do it.  I have taken the sight off a few times to replace the safety plunger and to replace them with night sights.  It really is not a big deal.  Just make sure that you loosen the screw before tapping it and tighten the screw afterwards. You can clean the screw and lock-tite it down if you are worried about it backing out.

I also should add that my performance center mp 40's front sight was drifted about 2/3 to the left and it did impact the bullet placement.  So this does not surprise me one bit.  I just drifted it back to the middle and moved on.  Shots are where it is supposed to now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That sounds pretty bad. I would call Smith and Wesson and get them to fix it. They should have done it right in the first place.
View Quote

Sending it back to S&W will just be a waste of your time when you could do it yourself. Especially if you figure that it could be 2-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#12]
You could do it yourself or you could have someone do it. But, many Shields rear sights are very difficult to move. The two that I have were next to impossible without heat and a sight tool.

I have adopted a new way of dealing with manufacturers--make THEM FIX IT. Otherwise, they have no motivation if the customer always fixes their mistakes. Make them pay for shipping noth ways and take their time to fix what should have been done correctly before they shipped it. There is simply no excuse for it. Then, they tell you in the manual NOT TO MOVE THE REAR SIGHT.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently bought one and it was the same.  I needed to loosen the allen screw and I used a brass punch to drift it after placing the slide into a vise.  I also needed to drift the front sight the same distance.  It seems the machine that presses in the sights was not quite aligned that day.  I bet the sights were originally more toward the ejection port side of the slide.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, it was sticking out over the ejection port side. It resisted all efforts for both me and a gun shop to drift it over with punches. I am going to send back to S&W as I'm sidelined anyway recovering from surgery. Not pleased as it tells me nobody looks at these things from a q/a perspective before they are sent. But in general should be a good gun as I know it is very popular.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I plan to shoot it first but it is sticking out over the slide about 1/16" and not even close to being aligned
View Quote

It didn't leave S&W hanging over the side.  99.9%

The rears are usually so tight a brass drift gets destroyed moving them.

The manuals say not to try.

Which era gun and which sight would be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It didn't leave S&W hanging over the side.  99.9%
View Quote

Yes, pretty sure it did. The display model was put back in the display case and the dealer retrieved a new unit from the back still in original manufacturer box and packaging. Sure looked like I was the first person to run his dickskinner fingers over it. My own dumbass fault for not noticing it, but there isn't a whole lot to inspect so I just glanced at it, saw all the parts, knew it was brand new so told him to ring it up. Only later when I was cleaning off the shipping oils did I notice it.

It is en-route to S&W today on their dime. Just a damn shame a new gun has to make that round trip again when it didn't really need to happen. My takeaway is simply a reminder of how much Ruger firearms consistently appeal to me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top