Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2016 2:50:01 PM EDT

So, after about 200rds the wife's Bodyguard 380 is producing light primer strikes on several different brass cased, boxer primed varieties of range/practice ammo this is happening several times on every mag loaded. The only up side is the Hornady American gunner 90gr XTP ammo she carries is still 100%. The guns clean, firing pin channel is clean as is the firing pin so it's not a maintenance issue.

Looking at the primers that fail to fire, they have a VERY SLIGHT dent in the primer on the first strike. Hitting them again usually fires the round but some need 3-4 hits before lighting off. On the other hand, the Hornady ammo has nicely impacted primers on the first hit. I'm not sure what primer Hornady is using but it's softer than Winchester, Remington, Blazer Brass, and Fiocchi!

Oddly, all the ammo I've tried functions fine WHEN it fires not one jam with any ammo I've tried so far. I can live with certain brands of practice ammo not functioning 100%. When it comes to primers randomly not being set off on quality, factory ammo, that's unforgivable.

After doing some research this seems to be a fairly common issue, anyone on here have it and did S&W resolve it? I'm calling S&W first thing tomorrow and sending the gun in.

I hope this gets resolved, wife loves the gun and WAS carrying it full time now that it's hotter. For now, she's carrying a 9mm shield since I have no faith in this gun going bang if she needs it to.....

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen videos on YouTube that some 380acp do not work great in their pocket guns due to light primer strikes. It isn't just the Bodyguard but many other pocket guns. I think Khar was one of them that was having this issue.

Keep us posted as I just bought a Bodyguard and carry it as a backup and I have only carried it without my 9mm once. It was a have to case in that situation.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Well, so far the return process is painless. 5 min call to S&W resulted in a email a few minutes later with the FedEx return label attached.

I'll send the gun out this morning.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, so far the return process is painless. 5 min call to S&W resulted in a email a few minutes later with the FedEx return label attached.

View Quote

Did they give any clue as to why the light primer strikes might be happening? I know there are issues all over the place with a lot of .380's and I'm guessing it is mostly the ammo. Are the primers on .380acp bigger or different than that of a 9mm and .38?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did they give any clue as to why the light primer strikes might be happening? I know there are issues all over the place with a lot of .380's and I'm guessing it is mostly the ammo. Are the primers on .380acp bigger or different than that of a 9mm and .38?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, no real interaction for the cause. I explained what was happening, he took my info and sent the return label e-mail.

380 uses common small pistol primers, same as most all small rim based cartridges. Nothing special about the ammo. In this case, I think the gun size is more the problem than the ammo.

When you down size things, the hammer is smaller and Weights less. You can't spring the hammer to stiff or the trigger pull will be too much. So, you try and reach a balance, in this case that balance wasn't achieved.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nope, no real interaction for the cause. I explained what was happening, he took my info and sent the return label e-mail.  

380 uses common small pistol primers, same as most all small rim based cartridges. Nothing special about the ammo. In this case, I think the gun size is more the problem than the ammo.

When you down size things, the hammer is smaller and Weights less. You can't spring the hammer to stiff or the trigger pull will be too much. So, you try and reach a balance, in this case that balance wasn't achieved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I look forward to hearing how it works when you get it back. I think there was some problems with Winchester white box ammo and something else from what I had seen on YouTube. Maybe steel cased.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]

I look forward to hearing how it works when you get it back. I think there was some problems with Winchester white box ammo and something else from what I had seen on YouTube. Maybe steel cased.
View Quote

I hear S&W service turn around is fairly fast, I hope to give a range report next weekend.

As a reloader, I know Winchester primer cups are fairly hard. I've never personally had an issue with Winchester primers or Winchester factory ammo until now...

I rarely shoot steel cased ammo. I did however have a problem with light strikes in my range use only G17L with wolf 9mm. I had a reduced power striker spring and lightened striker to improve trigger pull. This combo worked with every ammo type I tried except wolf. I pulled the striker and replaced it with the OEM striker and spring, light strike problem went away, so did the light striker and spring

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hear S&W service turn around is fairly fast, I hope to give a range report next weekend.

As a reloader, I know Winchester primer cups are fairly hard. I've never personally had an issue with Winchester primers or Winchester factory ammo until now...

I rarely shoot steel cased ammo. I did however have a problem with light strikes in my range use only G17L with wolf 9mm. I had a reduced power striker spring and lightened striker to improve trigger pull. This combo worked with every ammo type I tried except wolf. I pulled the striker and replaced it with the OEM striker and spring, light strike problem went away, so did the light striker and spring

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can't wait for the range report. I'm betting its just the ammo and nothing with the gun itself.

I have heard this about WOLF in all cal's lately. It seems to be a problem. But you figured it out and got it taken care that is the main thing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W sent me tracking, should have the bodyguard back Wednesday. I hope to test it this weekend weather permitting.

On a side note. I picked up a Kahr CT380. I shot just over a hundred rounds of the same ammo that was giving me light strikes in the bodyguard thru the Kahr without one light strike... the ammo is certainly not the problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Well the trip back to the factory didn't help....

First mag all went bang, I thought great, it's fixed. Second mag, first round click.... pulled the trigger again and it fired. 2 more shots then click...Second trigger pull fired the round. 3rd magazine was more of the same.

I guess this will be a range toy, I don't trust it for carry and I wouldn't feel right selling the damn thing

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear that this problem is still there. Maybe an aftermarket trigger and hammer might help. The Khar's have some break in problems. Check YouTube for that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sorry to hear that this problem is still there. Maybe an aftermarket trigger and hammer might help. The Khar's have some break in problems. Check YouTube for that.
View Quote

Yeah so am I. I'm not even sure S&W did anything to the gun, nothing detailed in the packing slip other than "test fired" "passed"

As for the Kahr. I had one stove pipe during the very first mag. then one more stove pipe a few mags later. As of today, I have over 175 trouble free rounds fired and exactly ZERO light strikes....

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah so am I. I'm not even sure S&W did anything to the gun, nothing detailed in the packing slip other than "test fired" "passed"

As for the Kahr. I had one stove pipe during the very first mag. then one more stove pipe a few mags later. As of today, I have over 175 trouble free rounds fired and exactly ZERO light strikes....

Thats good it has been a good break in period. I looked at those but didn't know if I would like the Kahr or not. I think it is a little bigger than the bodyguard. Maybe the Bodyguard needs a break in period too or something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats good it has been a good break in period. I looked at those but didn't know if I would like the Kahr or not. I think it is a little bigger than the bodyguard. Maybe the Bodyguard needs a break in period too or something.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

The CT380 is a TINY bit larger than the bodyguard. If you use the pinky extension on the BG the size is nearly the same in the grip area BUT the CT carries an extra round. The CT380 is about 1/4 inch longer than the BG. Size wise, I'd say it's to close to say one is really larger than the other, unlike when comparing say the much larger G-42. Weight difference is 1.5oz, both guns fully loaded, CT380 being the heavier of the two.

EDIT to add: One fairly big down side to the Kahr is the STIFF recoil springs. Racking that tiny slide is no easy task even for me, My wife can do it as well but not anywhere near as easily as the BG. Also, dropping the slide using the slide stop/release as Kahr recommends takes a FRIM push with my thumb, the wife cannot do it. Both may get a little better with more use but I don't think it will ever be easy to manipulate the slide or slide lock on the Kahr...

I'll continue to shoot the BG, maybe the light strikes will go away but they didn't show up until around the 200rd mark so I'd say break-in is over....

I might try the Galloway increased rate hammer spring, may help with the light strikes but it will increase an already fairly heavy trigger pull...

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The CT380 is a TINY bit larger than the bodyguard. If you use the pinky extension on the BG the size is nearly the same in the grip area BUT the CT carries an extra round. The CT380 is about 1/4 inch longer than the BG. Size wise, I'd say it's to close to say one is really larger than the other, unlike when comparing say the much larger G-42. Weight difference is 1.5oz, both guns fully loaded, CT380 being the heavier of the two.

EDIT to add: One fairly big down side to the Kahr is the STIFF recoil springs. Racking that tiny slide is no easy task even for me, My wife can do it as well but not anywhere near as easily as the BG. Also, dropping the slide using the slide stop/release as Kahr recommends takes a FRIM push with my thumb, the wife cannot do it. Both may get a little better with more use but I don't think it will ever be easy to manipulate the slide or slide lock on the Kahr...

I'll continue to shoot the BG, maybe the light strikes will go away but they didn't show up until around the 200rd mark so I'd say break-in is over....

I might try the Galloway increased rate hammer spring, may help with the light strikes but it will increase an already fairly heavy trigger pull...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Keep us posted. I was torn between the two when I was looking at the .380 for pocket carry. The Bodyguard had me leaning towards it from the start. I really like the BG. It has been a perfect fit for my backup carry and main carry when I cannot carry my M&P 9 or G19.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Only one misfire today, still look at some of these strikes...its amazing some of the primers detonated![/URL]

These were fired in my CT380..

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting. So you were shooting a different .380 today?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Interesting. So you were shooting a different .380 today?
View Quote
Ummm... not sure what you mean by that. I only have the one bodyguard and Kahr CT380.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Send it back again with those spent brass with light strikes....or tell them u would like your money back.

I hate it when u send a pistol with a well detailed list of issues and all they do is say it passed .

Snd it back again
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Send it back again with those spent brass with light strikes....or tell them u would like your money back.

I hate it when u send a pistol with a well detailed list of issues and all they do is say it passed .

Snd it back again
View Quote

I think S&W did nothing more to this gun than load a few rds in a mag and fire them, all went bang so they sent it back....

I ordered the Galloway increased rate hammer spring yesterday. If I still have problems after installing it, or, if the trigger pull is increased to much the gun will go back to S&W. I will include spent cases if another trip is required, I should have the first time...

EDIT:

Got the increased rate spring. It's CERTAINLY increased rate! Either Galloway is fibbing a bit when they say pull is increased about 1.5lb OR my hammer spring was already weak. I think the pull is about 3-4lb more, I should have measured before and after but didn't. Along with trigger pull, racking the slide takes a bit more effort but still far less than the CT380! Trigger pull increase is livable I think just doing a few dry fires, I'll shoot it this weekend weather permitting.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently had a Fail to fire Issue with my 380 BG and traced it back to the AMMO to be the cause.

I did send it back to S&W to get looked and they found no faults (return was very simple and turn around was about 2 weeks)

I have used 4 different kinds of ammo in it and it has ZERO problems with my defensive carry ammos Just reloads.

It only has problems with reloaded ammo. I noticed is that many of the reloaded rounds do have a slight case bulge.  If you take apart the 380 and put a round in the barrel and invert it the reloads will NOT fall out.  All my other ammo that I use as definsive ammo will fall out.  What I think is happening is the hammer is tapping the reloaded ammo into battery until fully seated then it will fire.  it takes 1-4 hammer strikes to make the reloads fire.  Many may find that annoying I actually find it to be pretty good practice at making sure I always do very smooth trigger pulls and it has made me better as a result.  As long as the defensive ammo is 100% I dont mind the practice ammo being inconsistant.
Not saying I would ever buy reloads again but its not the end of the wolrd as long as it just training ammo.

HP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top