Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2016 2:22:41 PM EDT
I just bought a case of PPU Prvi Partizan 158gr SJHP's which I just found out is supposed to be really hot. They are advertised at 1,608fps out of a 10" barrel. Some reviews say this ammo is closer to 1,300fps but all reviews I can find say this is HOT ammo!  I don't want to beat my 686's with a 2" and 4" barrel up and I'm wondering now if this ammo is to hot for the 686 to handle without taking excessive wear and abuse. Does anyone know about this ammo and if the 686 can take it safely and with out taking excessive wear? Thanks for any and all info!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm asking out of genuine curiosity (not trying to be flippant).  Why wouldn't your 686 be able to shoot hot rounds?

If the chamber says 357 and the ammo says 357, I shoot it out of my smiths.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm asking out of genuine curiosity (not trying to be flippant).  Why wouldn't your 686 be able to shoot hot rounds?

View Quote

I just don't want my 686's to "shoot loose or go out of time" by using Hot ammo. I have read that a lot of 357's revolvers have trouble holding up to factory 357 loads. Not sure where the 686 falls in terms of strength. I hear the Ruger is the strongest. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just don't want my 686's to "shoot loose or go out of time" by using Hot ammo. I have read that a lot of 357's revolvers have trouble holding up to factory 357 loads. Not sure where the 686 falls in terms of strength. I hear the Ruger is the strongest. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why they made 686.  When the L frame came out the only thing stronger was the Dan Wesson with the interchangeable barrels.You will eventually shoot it loose if you practice like Miculek but with full power .357 but barring S&W financing ammo for you your gun should outlast you.

Ruger is a better gun for police/military issue and poor care by operator.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have shot a lot of 1800fps 125 gr loads with no issues at all.

eta:  I may have set someones hair on fire once..................

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have shot a lot of 1800fps 125 gr loads with no issues at all.

eta:  I may have set someones hair on fire once..................

View Quote

Out of a 686?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot some home loads out of my 686 that were pretty smokin'.
Mine has been around since 1989. Bought it the day i turned 21.
Still locks up tight, timing is fine (no play in the cylinder).
I don't shoot hot loads very often as it's harder on me than it is on the pistol.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I beat one of the original 586 out of time pretty bad with a steady diet of 158 gr LSWC .357.  A lot of rounds for sure, but it was less than 3,000.  About 90.00 to fix in 1985.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Take how much of it?

Your 686 will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 686 was Smith and Wesson's solution to this happening in the slightly smaller K frame.  But even in a K frame you're going to have to shoot A LOT of hot ammo for it to be a concern/
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I beat one of the original 586 out of time pretty bad with a steady diet of 158 gr LSWC .357.  A lot of rounds for sure, but it was less than 3,000.  About 90.00 to fix in 1985.
View Quote

This is one of the reasons LE angencies moved away from revolvers.  A semi auto can digest a lot more ammo before requiring an armorer compared to revolvers.  When I hired onto my PD investigators were still carrying 2.5" model 66's.  Armorer said he spent a lot of time working on revolvers and rarely had issues with the 39-2 or 439's which uniform Officers were carrying.  My Department was good about replacing recoil springs because we were carrying 115 grain +P+ JHP.   Anyone can swap a recoil spring, a little harder to retime a S&W K frame or Colt Trooper which my department used before adopting the model 39.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Take how much of it?

Your 686 will be fine.
View Quote

About 500 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top