Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2016 2:24:07 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to buy a M&P Bodyguard and I'm wondering if I should go with the one with the laser or the one without? I know Crimson Trace makes a laser that fits onto the Bodyguard. I'm just wondering if there is an advantage of having one already built in? The price is also a concern. If I spend the extra money for the one with the built in laser I could be buying extra ammo. I keep leaning towards the one with the laser but something in the back of my mind is telling me not to get the one with the built in laser.

So with that all being said. What are pro's and con's of both?

Would you buy the one with or the one without the laser?

Thanks everyone for the help and for any and all information that you can give me on the M&P Bodyguard 380.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I find the laser activation to not be very intuitive.  Id rather save save the weight and have less parts to worry about failing or causing failures.  I'd rather see a version that has a CT's normal middle finger activation.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I find the laser activation to not be very intuitive.  Id rather save save the weight and have less parts to worry about failing or causing failures.  I'd rather see a version that has a CT's normal middle finger activation.
View Quote

I didn't even think about the added weight a laser would add. I do like the fact of having the option to add a laser later.

Keep the info coming. I have a few days if not a week before I buy one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been contemplating the same question as you.  I was thinking the laser would be nice especially with someone who wears glasses like myself but I have heard of issues with the M&P laser and if you do have a problem you have to send the gun back to the factory to get it fixed.Now that I know you can buy XS big dot sights for the body guard I think I'll go that route and forget about the laser.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have never shot one without the laser, but I'm glad I got the laser version.  It's very handy.  Just remember to wipe the lens off every now and then.  I though mine was broken because I couldn't get it to turn on.  A few seconds with a cloth and I was back in business.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#5]
My laser failed during its first range trip.  I called S&W and they shipped a replacement laser module for free.  Great customer service.  The screw that keeps that laser in place is super tiny.  I've heard of people claiming the screw has backed out a jammed up the gun.  I always blue loctite screws so I've never had that problem.  I'd still rather have the non laser version then buy the seperate CT laser.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products/manufacturer/smith-wesson/01-4560

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going in tomorrow to the shop and I'm going to pick up the one without the laser. Its not a big deal to me to have it but the option of getting one is there too. I like that. I have read and watched videos of the laser screw causing problems. I think the price difference too will allow me to buy a lot of ammo and a pocket holster.

Now what holster is everyone using? Mine will be used for pocket carry. I wear jeans, cargo pants and causal dress pants for work. So I am open to all holsters. I also wear my shirt tucked in for work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Galco pocket holster.  Hate it.  It really prints badly.  I also use a simple Uncle Mikes IWB holster for appendix carry which is far more comfortable.  

I need a better pocket holster.  Just can't decide what will work.  

Oh, and the Bodyguard with no laser is the bees knees as far as little .380 pop guns go.  It's finally replaced ALL of my .25's and that took a lot.  I love my Bauer .25.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I went and picked up the Bodyguard today. I picked up the one without the laser. It was 375 without and 459 with. I used the extra money to buy some ammo to shoot and test out and to carry. The Crimson trace laser to add to the Bodyguard is thinner and about the same price of buying it already built in. I'm happy with my buy.

I have been thinking of going with the Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I saw some reviews and it looks good. I watched a few videos and it seems that it comes out of the holster easily when pulled and doesn't print. I just dropped in my cargo pants pocket and I have a packet of tissues and with that in there the gun disappears. I took the tissues out and you still cannot see it. It will work until I get my holster.

Also it feels well balanced in my hand. I had a TP25 (I think I have the model right) that I carried for a few years and I hated the gun. I hated the look and feel but it shot well. This feels so much better. Feels like it belongs in my hand.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Too late for feedback since you already bought it but a few thoughts anyway for someone else ap who may ask the same question.
1. The laser adds almost nothing weight wise, you would need a scale to feel the difference between the two.
2. The older laser with the grey button (can't remember the brand) was a bit difficult to activate as the button was too stiff with little tactile feedback. The new Crimson Trace laser (red button) is far better and very pleasant/natural to activate.
3. Activating the laser once by the press of a button as opposed to having to keep a button pressed while trying manipulate such a small pistol is beneficial.
4. It's far cheaper to pay a few bucks more at purchase to get the laser than too add it afterwards and won't be as non-intrusive.
5. Last one is subjective but for what it's worth I think the laser model is far better looking with the full under lug look.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Too late for feedback since you already bought it but a few thoughts anyway for someone else ap who may ask the same question.
1. The laser adds almost nothing weight wise, you would need a scale to feel the difference between the two.
2. The older laser with the grey button (can't remember the brand) was a bit difficult to activate as the button was too stiff with little tactile feedback. The new Crimson Trace laser (red button) is far better and very pleasant/natural to activate.
3. Activating the laser once by the press of a button as opposed to having to keep a button pressed while trying manipulate such a small pistol is beneficial.
4. It's far cheaper to pay a few bucks more at purchase to get the laser than too add it afterwards and won't be as non-intrusive.
5. Last one is subjective but for what it's worth I think the laser model is far better looking with the full under lug look.
View Quote

The one with the laser was very tempting but I just went with the one without. I like the laser model. I have read things in the past before they became part of the M&P lineup that there were problems with a screw. I like to keep things simple most of the time with my guns. I like the laser feature but I'm not sure where it would have benefit me. Right now at least. The owner of the shop has the one with the laser and he has only used it twice. Once to see if it works and once to sight it in. It was of no other benefit to him right now.

I will give you that it does look better but I really like the look of the one without too.

I also doubt I ever add a laser to it but I may one day. It would be nice to have a light on it over a laser. But I guess they both would do the same thing. Either way I am happy with the buy. I also thought I would like the mag with the extra groove for a finger. It helps a lot. I will get a spare mag that has it. Maybe find a base plate and replace the one on the extra mag.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya I like the mag base plate that has the finger grove too and disappointed they don't include it for the second mag, but they do at least include the second mag and didn't used to.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ya I like the mag base plate that has the finger grove too and disappointed they don't include it for the second mag, but they do at least include the second mag and didn't used to.
View Quote

Yeah I remember reading that they used to not have the second mag and the newer ones do.

I wonder why they did two different mags? What I see online for sale are the ones with the base plate. To bad S&W isn't doing any magazine offers like they did a while back when I got my M&P 9.

What ammo is everyone using?

Any one use the XTP stuff?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the XTP for the Bodyguard...  It Barks!!

I've lately been shooting the FTX which has the poly ball in the hollow point for expansion

My Bodyguard has the integral laser and I really like it.   I think that in fast and especially darker conditions, it can make a real difference.

I've been amazed at what an accurate little shooter it is.   Not pleasant to shot 50 at a time, but it does the job with every pull of the trigger.

My .02 cents...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like the XTP for the Bodyguard...  It Barks!!

I've lately been shooting the FTX which has the poly ball in the hollow point for expansion

My Bodyguard has the integral laser and I really like it.   I think that in fast and especially darker conditions, it can make a real difference.

I've been amazed at what an accurate little shooter it is.   Not pleasant to shot 50 at a time, but it does the job with every pull of the trigger.

My .02 cents...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I need to find some XTP ammo locally. The shop didn't have it in stock. I think he had sold a lot of .380 ammo and handguns. They seem to be getting popular.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Today was my first day of carrying the Bodyguard as a backup to my GLOCK 19 (I also will use it with my M&P 9mm full size) and it tucks into my cargo pocket and you cannot tell it is there. I carried the spare mag in a small pocket (usually a small light is in that pocket) and I didn't notice it at all.

I do need to get a pocket holster. I tried to put it in my front pocket but the outline of the gun could be seen. It might not be as bad if I am wearing jeans but cargo shorts showed it.

I am very happy with this buy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I like mine (without laser).
Desantis pocket holster has been great for the last 8 months.
Does not like cheap ammo. WWB flat nose at the range, all of the expensive hp ammo I used works well with no jams. I tested expensive brands of hp at 100 per test. That was an expensive and painful couple of range days. Cocked and locked is important. Sweaty or grease slick hands are not good with the non-sharp and small slide serrations. The safety works with sweaty hands, good enough anyway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like mine (without laser).
Desantis pocket holster has been great for the last 8 months.
Does not like cheap ammo. WWB flat nose at the range, all of the expensive hp ammo I used works well with no jams. I tested expensive brands of hp at 100 per test. That was an expensive and painful couple of range days. Cocked and locked is important. Sweaty or grease slick hands are not good with the non-sharp and small slide serrations. The safety works with sweaty hands, good enough anyway.
View Quote

I have found that the safety is easy to get off and back on pulling out my pocket. Its a stiff safety but works good. I don't feel that I need it with the stiff trigger but right now I have been using it.

I have been looking at the Desantis holster. Do they hold a mag in them? I have looked at Uncle Mikes too and like it also. I was looking at one made by UTG and it looks like a direct copy of Uncle Mikes.

Good to know on ammo. I'm carrying it with hollow points. I have cycled ammo through the mags and they seem to go into battery with no problems. I need to get to the range. So far I have only carried it with my GLOCK G19. Tuesday will be my first day of pocket carry only.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Just an FYI to anyone looking to pick up spare mags for the bodyguard, gunmagwarehouse has them on sale for 8.99.  I have the one with the laser, I honestly think you're better off without it personally.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just an FYI to anyone looking to pick up spare mags for the bodyguard, gunmagwarehouse has them on sale for 8.99.  I have the one with the laser, I honestly think you're better off without it personally.
View Quote

Thanks on the info for the mag! That is a good deal. I need to head over there and check it out. I think the cheapest I have found them has been 13.99 and I think that was during a sale on PSA.

I have been carrying it now for about a week. I am very happy with this gun. Today I was carrying it and I had to leave my G19 behind. It fits in my pocket and no one knows its there. I do need to get a holster for it. It is a little less bulk to it I think without the laser. I like the laser but I just didn't see the need for the difference in price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top