Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 10:30:32 PM EDT
Has anyone else seen this thing? I was at my local Cabela's and they had one in stock.  I was practically dumbfounded but I was in a hurry at the time otherwise I would have taken a closer look at it but it appeared to be more or less a new version of the 5906 but is marked 5946.

And before anyone asks, this was on the NEW side and the employee I mentioned this to didn't even realize it was out yet.  I saw a post with one response over on the Smith forums but this is weird as there doesn't appear to be anything on Smith & Wesson's website...
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It is an old model.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is an old model.
View Quote

I'm not sure I follow.  It is new.  Like, newly released.  If it was an old model that was sitting somewhere for a while it would have been relegated to the used gun section as that is what a friend that worked there told me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
It's an older model 5900 series. They are excellent pistols and have different types such as decocker, S.A. only, -Double action only, single -double action
I'd buy it if priced right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's an older model 5900 series. They are excellent pistols and have different types such as decocker, S.A. only, -Double action only, single -double action
View Quote

It's $799...
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:52:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's $799...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's $799...

They are out of their mind.

Gunbroker sells these all day long under $400

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's $799...

You're obviously not tracking that he is saying.  That one on GB is clearly used.  S&W has released some new production gen 3 guns.  Not new old stock, absolutely fresh new.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_1807/products_id/719006732/SW+5946+9MM+4+ALL+SS+NS+BLK+GRIPS+3+15RD
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Double action only.  Why Smith? Why?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're obviously not tracking that he is saying.  That one on GB is clearly used.  S&W has released some new production gen 3 guns.  Not new old stock, absolutely fresh new.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_1807/products_id/719006732/SW+5946+9MM+4+ALL+SS+NS+BLK+GRIPS+3+15RD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's $799...

I still think they are out of their mind.     DO Smith guns except for the 3954 are not that popular.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I still think they are out of their mind.     DO Smith guns except for the 3954 are not that popular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's $799...

I've seen a couple of different models new recently, not just the 5946.  Buds has a compact version.  I would bet they are a contract overrun or something limited.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Smith making "new" models of a firearm that ended production nearly 2 decades ago? I find that hard to believe, especially with M&Ps being mainstream.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe this is the last gen 3 pistol that S&W currently manufactures.  The only reason it's still made is that it is one of the few pistols on the NYPD approved list and the NYPD is huge.  Larger than the army of many countries.

May also still be issued by Chicago PD, not sure about that one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe this is the last gen 3 pistol that S&W currently manufactures.  The only reason it's still made is that it is one of the few pistols on the NYPD approved list and the NYPD is huge.  Larger than the army of many countries.

View Quote

RCMP as well.  Smith said they would continue to maintain that platform for the LE market.  I'm guessing they run them in batches from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
At that price - no thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

RCMP as well.  Smith said they would continue to maintain that platform for the LE market.  I'm guessing they run them in batches from time to time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that would explain the ones I saw on GunBroker a couple of months ago. Some gun shop in AZ was repeatedly listing "new" 5906 for the RCMP at stupid, stupid, stupid prices.

The listing would expire and the shop would re-list at the exact same price over, and over, and over again.

Yeah I'd love to have one but I'm not a S&W crazy collector type and the shop wasn't getting the message.

I still see LNIB 5906 around but sometimes the price is like all 3rd Gen S&W climbing. Just not high enough on the priority list to buy one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Double action only.  Why Smith? Why?
View Quote

Because the 5946 is, by definition, DAO.

And in my not so humble opinion, the DAO 3rd-gens are some of the nicest DAO triggers out there. Smooth and consistent, like a ... dare I say it? ... Good S&W revolver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top