Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 1:52:10 PM EDT
I'm very thorough but I would like to do a deep cleaning of my  shield once a year. What are my options short of disassembling the entire frame?

I was thinking about dousing the frame with brake cleaner or soaking in alcohol or a mild solvent but I would be concerned about rust. Furthermore I understand the trigger spring has a cotton dampener that will get ruined if I do that. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Use slip2000 ewl. It will condition the metal and won't hurt polymer and is excofriendly.
It will strip all other lubricants and cleaners from the gun and bond with the metal.
It will leave a semi permanent lubricated coating on the metal that does not attract dirt, dust or debris.
All cleanings afterwords, the carbon and crap will slide right off.

I use it on all my firearms. The shits magic
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Ultrasonic cleaner, let air dry, lube, done.

Besides field stripping, I've never "deep" cleaned any of my guns. I doubt most people shoot enough anyways.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If I'm in a hurry I spray the guts with Tri Flow and use Q-Tips and rags to wipe it off then spray it again and use compressed air to blast it dry.  After you're done wipe the frame with a clean rag then a paper towel soaked in alcohol.

Looks brand new!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ultrasonic cleaner, let air dry, lube, done.

Besides field stripping, I've never "deep" cleaned any of my guns. I doubt most people shoot enough anyways.
View Quote

My pistols do.  I have my buddy drop them into his ultrasonic, blow them out with air, and oil em.  Does a good job.

In a pinch, Ive used hot water, Simple Green, toothbrush and an air compressor as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top