Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 9:07:16 PM EDT
I want to get some better sights for this gun. I'm not really thrilled with the factory sights. I am looking for fiber optic or "light pipe" sights that fit the following criteria:

1. Steel, not aluminum or plastic.

2. Under $60 shipped for a set of both front and rear.

I have found plenty of sights that I like, but all of them are closer to $100 or more than $60, and when the whole new gun only costs about $360, I have a hard time coughing up over 25% of the price of the whole gun for two tiny bits of metal and colored plastic that cost less than $10 to manufacture.

What are my options?

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Williams has some for around $40. and Meprolight around 75. Splurge and get the Meprolight
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Williams has some for around $40. and Meprolight around 75. Splurge and get the Meprolight

View Quote

I have some Meprolights (from the factory) on a couple of Kimber 1911's before selling them, and they were nice sights. Might have to see if I can find some black friday sales or something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to spend money, don't cheap out.  Yes, the gun is inexpensive but that doesn't mean cheap sights are the way to go.  Heck, an Apex costs half the price of the gun.

Buy sights from one of the big names.

If you want F/O, I suggest Truglo's tritium ones, since they work in all light conditions.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Trijicon HD.

I have 6 sets.

Once you use them, you'll be happy to spend the coin.  Very good sights.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're going to spend money, don't cheap out.  Yes, the gun is inexpensive but that doesn't mean cheap sights are the way to go.  Heck, an Apex costs half the price of the gun.

Buy sights from one of the big names.

If you want F/O, I suggest Truglo's tritium ones, since they work in all light conditions.
View Quote

I have been looking to find just the Apex sear without the trigger and it's still somewhere close to $100.

I guess I could have just spent $800 on a gun, but I already have plenty of those in the safe. I just wanted something smaller and more comfortable to pack around than the XD9sc I normally carry. 13 rounds is better than 8, but the XD9 fully loaded weighs 2 lbs 1 oz. and the Shield weighs 1 lb 8 oz., plus it's thinner. The sight radius and profile are about the same. I like the manual safety on the Shield (though I know a lot of people don't).

It fills a gap in my carry options between a "get off me" 2 shot derringer that is unsafe to use any farther than 5 feet away, and the XD9sc. But I wasn't shopping in the $800 range for a gun in this size. Maybe I should have. I dunno.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
ameriglo hackathorn
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a defensive tool.

Your life is worth it, especially if you're going to carry it all the time.

You bought a serviceable 350 dollar gun, yes.

Doesn't mean it can't be made better.

Apex kit for 70, and if you are concerned about the sights, get a fiber optic front if thats what you want, and leave the factory rear.  Black out the two dots, and there you go.

But we all know this hobby ain't about the money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The ameriglo ICE rear sight should be around $40. I got a 10-8 rear from the equipment exchange for $35. You can try to go back and see if he still has one left, I remember he had a few sets.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top